Philippines recommendations, please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHeid,

Yes, I feel completely safe in the Philippines. In fact, I was born and raised in Arizona but live in Metro Manila now. I love it.

All of my friends in the States ask your very question, mostly because of exaggerated broad generalizations from the media. By and large, Filipinos are wonderful, hospitable, caring folks who will go away out of their way to help somebody.

Having said that, there are, of course, places that foreigners should not go, but they would take great effort to get to in the first place... so kind of a non-issue. You won't catch me in some parts of LA after dark, I don't go to parts of Downtown Phoenix after dark, and I don't go down to the Sulu Archipelago(PH). The warnings from the US Gov't apply to Sulu, Mindanao, southern tip of Palawan, and a small area in northern Luzon.... You'll be fine.

Also, I will add that Puerto Galera, Anilao, Batangas, and Dumagete are great places. I think you will truly enjoy your trip (if/When) you make it out here. :)

When you do make your trip, feel free to post it. Myself, and maybe others, may be able to help out or give advise if necessary, or maybe even catch a dive or a drink together!

Quick question!

Do ya'll fell safe traveling to the Philippines? Its on my soon to do list (or hopefully), but have been warned a lot about safety, terrorism, kidnapping etc. Coming from US

Hi SeaHeid2288,

D_Fresh pretty much covered it. I am also an American (Cedar Rapids, IA) and live here. I feel safer walking the streets here at night then in Cedar Rapids!

The trouble areas are no where near anywhere that you would be going on a trip here to dive or even visit. To put it in perspective, it would be like comparing troubles in Miami when you are visiting Seattle.

Here is a quote from the Philippines Department of Tourism: "In 2017, 6,620,908 foreign tourists visited the Philippines marking the unprecedented growth of the country's tourism industry. It grew about 11% from the previous year's arrivals of 5,967,005"

Millions of people visit this country every year without an issue. Unfortunately a few issues in one small area of the country continue to be a focus of media attention and deter some tourists.

Come explore the Philippines, meet the locals and get some great diving in. I promise when you leave you will be trying to figure out how fast you can come back.

Feel free to contact me if I can be of any help or answer any questions.

I promise when you leave you will be trying to figure out how fast you can come back.

Sea Scan is absolutely correct here. That's what happened to me years ago. I came out to visit my father (American, here long term on business). I made a 1 month trip, then came back 3 months later for 3 months, then my trips kept getting longer. I figured it's best to just live here, so now I do! :D

Quick question!

Do ya'll fell safe traveling to the Philippines? Its on my soon to do list (or hopefully), but have been warned a lot about safety, terrorism, kidnapping etc. Coming from US
Philippines is very safe.
I had even dived in three places in Mindanao, Davao, Gen Santos and Surigao. No problem whatsoever.
There is nothing to worry about. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to explore the various diving areas in the country.

Quick question!

Yes I feel safe, I have been on living on the island of Mindoro for the past 6 years, my two kids were born here and if it wasn't safe then I would not being them up here. The USA is much more dangerous :)

Well, the north is not the south. Mindanao (south) is under the martial law for the whole 2018 (and it has been from 2017, following the Marawi attack) and subject of concrete terrorism risks (Islamic). I would avoid that area if possible.

.... Sea sickness is an issue, but a short boat ride is okay.....

Thumbs up for the diving around Puerto Galera and staying/diving with El Galleon/Asia Divers. Though one thing I don't think anyone has pointed out is that there is a one hour boat ride from Batangas City to PG, usually by large outrigger (banka). Here is an example I found on youtube:

Buddha, great video! I really do enjoy the trip across. We depart from Berberabe, grab a few SML for the ride and enjoy the fresh air and views

I generally don't do resorts but found Club Ocellaris in Anilao to be a great fit for me since it is all about diving (with a bit of time for meals and sleep). Some dives were in excess of 2 1/2 hours! I used Action Divers in Sabang (essentially the same as Puerto Galera) but they are not a resort operation. Many other choices there that are good though... I just haven't used them.

Back
Top Bottom