Philippines or Palau?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

love2fishfork

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My local dive club is offering two trips. One to Palau which is a liveaboard, and another to Dumaguette. I have never been to either and since this is a fairly costly trip I want to choose wisely. Those of you who have been to both could you please give me your opinions as to which has the best diving?

The Palau trip is about $1400 more than the Philippines trip!

if cost is not an issue, definitely choose Palau. :)

you can also pm pakman and thehammerhead or go to Philippine Paradise Divers forum and repost this thread. there are other PPDs who have been to both and can provide you more insight.

I'm in Palau right now. I've never dived/dove in the PI so I can't comment there, but I am having a great time here in Palau. German channel is just flush with rays right now and Blue Corner, is well, Blue Corner. Great diving and great people. Both divers and the locals. One of the senators of the island is having me over for dinner tonight and taking me out sight-seeing later. Great people here. Good luck with your choice!

yep, pelagics vs. macro. Which would you rather see?

If you have no problem forking the extra cash, go for Palau. Philippines is easier to save up for. :)

After meeting one of the new dive guides, Gia, I'd definitely recommend Palau. She definitely adds to the natural beauty of Palau.

Thanks for all the responses! Sounds like it will be Palau! Just not sure about the liveaboard thing. I kind of like to sample the island life and see the sites when I'm not diving, and I'm not sure I'll be able to do much of that on a liveaboard. For a little bit more $ they are offering a Yap excursion!

Thanks for all the responses! Sounds like it will be Palau! Just not sure about the liveaboard thing. I kind of like to sample the island life and see the sites when I'm not diving, and I'm not sure I'll be able to do much of that on a liveaboard. For a little bit more $ they are offering a Yap excursion!

If you really love to dive I would think the liveaboard would be the best value but then I just love to dive. I would think you'd see more distant dive sites and not have the long boat rides with the island based diving. You could stay a few days afterwards to check out the island life. I did a liveaboard in the Philippines and thought it was great to dive 4-5 times a day.

As much as I love Dumaguete and nearby Apo Island, I'd say go to Palau if you can save up that extra $$'s. If macro photography is your thing and you don't fancy 20-50 sharks buzzing by you at Blue corner, large schools of fish, or mantas at German Channel, then I would vote for Dumaguete... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom