Philippines in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Subic Bay and Anilao are the obvious choices, both just a stones through from Manila (...well, a 2-3 hour drive... but the buses are SO much fun it'll feel like 5 minutes :wink: )

Subic is your place for wrecks - big and small, old and new. There's some decent coral and artificial reef diving there also. Wrecks vary from 10m - 70m, although most are within recreational diving range. There's also a wide spectrum of penetration options - from very simple (suitable for any experienced diver) up to crazy technical squirming in the dark. Easy to get accommodation (wide price range) and dive sites are no more than 20 mins from the beach. There's a range of night-life, some great eateries and some interesting non-diving activities in the area.

Anilao is a world-capital for shallow reef and muck diving. Most of the resorts there have awesome house reefs. Secret Bay is muck heaven for photographers and critter spotters - easily on a par with Lembeh, Mabul etc. Resorts are isolated (sleepy) and slightly higher in price range, but typically all-inclusive. You'll pay more for boat trips though - as they charge per boat, not per dive/r, and if the resort is quiet you'll have to charter boat trips at the full expense.

Drop me a line, hit me on Facebook or check out the website for photos and more details about the areas. Enjoy!

If you do not mind the daily transfer then there are eg. Discovery Divers, Sea Divers etc etc.
Gunther at Discovery Divers knows the wrecks inside out.

Second vote for discovery divers. Marcel who works with Gunter also knows the wrecks inside out. I had some of the best dives of my diving career with him. Great fun.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the replies!

I think Coron bay is going to be the first choice. Can anyone recommend a good resort / hotel & dive centre for a couple on a limited budget? I've had a quote for Sangat and it's a bit out of our price range. Also, the general consensus on Trip Advisor seems to be that its overpriced.

Does anyone know of a nice, clean budget resort?

Thanks again,

Karen.

Coron was my first trip to the Philippines. I was on a budget and stayed at the L&M? I think on the pier - I would not recommend staying there as it is too close to the slaughter house - pigs squeeling at 3:30am - funny thing is I got used to it. I would also recommend having Nitrox certification as the bottom where the ships ly is from 85-120 ft. deep. The shop I dived with is not longer in business but I believe there are 15 liter tanks available too. I haven't been back since as it is so far out there and not much to do when you get back from diving.

If you still haven't made up you mind, I would highly recommend Malapascua, although getting there may be slightly time consuming, from Cebu airport it's a 3-4 trip.
Obviously the Thresher sharks at Monad Shoal, but also wreck diving and great macro at gato and other sites plus the mating mandarin fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom