Philippine Diving Honeymoon Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Patchy13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My partner and I are heading to the Philippines for our honeymoon in December 2012. We are both AOW, me with around 40 dives, her with around 35 in a range of places - GBR, Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia.

Our trip is not all about diving but there are a few places that we would like to visit in our 3 week long trip. We are looking at snorkling/diving Donsol (one or two days), diving Malapuscua (two or three days) for Threshers/Hammerheads/Mantas, Bohol and Boracay. We are interested in seeing everything but are keen on the big stuff especially Manta's and sharks. If possible it would be nice to avoid areas that have been dynamite fished but understand that this might not be possible.

I would be open to suggestions on any new places that we could visit as a replacement or somewhere different like Moalboal and also the diving conditions - vis, temp etc

Also, are there any dive centres that stock larger tanks as I tend to use my air faster than my partner.

Cheers

Last edited:
Diving at Tubattaha is only feasible between mid Mar and early June.
Three weeks to cover Bohol, Boracay, Donsol and Malapascua which are miles apart! It is possible BUT a lot of backtracking ie. time wasting. And if you are travelling during Christmas and New Year then book your internal flights as well as accommodation early. Most internal flights have to go through Cebu or Manila, there are very few non-stop inter-city connections in the country.

Some dive cetres do stock large tanks but you have to enquire first.

I can't fault you for selecting those places(Chocolate Hill, tazier monkey, White Beach, whaleshark and thrasher shark) because it is NOT a diving holiday.

Thanks for the heads up.

We were thinking of doing a three day package tour from Manila which includes some diving and snorkling plus a few other things with Donsol Eco Tours, then just flying/driving to the other places. We understand there will be some traveling involved but also planning lots of downtime too!

Hi there.

I just read you letter and so I would like a moment of your time to introduce myself and my dive shop South Sea Divers. We are located in Puerto Galera, Sabang beach, which is an easy place to get to from Manila.........bus and boat.....3.5 hours.

So what's the diving like here? It's great diving for photographers..........we have lots of the small critters and the reef is very healthy here the larger animals have been spotted, ( schools of Jacks, white tip reef sharks and rays ) but not on all dives. The reefs around P.G. have been protected from dynamite for many years so the reef are in good shape. There are about 30 different dive sites none further than 30 minutes from the dive shop, so your not on a boat all day getting to and from the dive site........some of the dives are for beginners or are good check out divers while other sites are for the more experienced diver. If drift dives are your thing then we have some good drift too. You mentioned that you use more air than your partner and need a bigger tank........no problem, we have 12 and 15 liter tanks.

Our staff consists of two western instructors.....a Canadian and an American, two local guys that fill tanks and drive our two speed boats and two local dive-masters which are very experienced and know where some of the more unusual marine life live.

If you would like more info from us ( dive@southseadivers.com ) please ask and I'll get right back to you. Our web page is South Sea Divers Puerto Galera Philippines

Thank you for your time and we hope to hear from you soon.........hope you have a great honeymoon.

Sky........ instructor and shop owner

Hello Patchy 13!

Sounds like a great trip!
Here in Malapascua you will have a big big chance to get the Threshers (almost daily year round!) and also manta's/ devil rays are quite common (all @ dive site 'Monad Shoal'). For Hammerheads you need a little bit more luck but December would be a good month! At Gato we have our resident (big!) white tip reef sharks.
Beside the big stuff we also have some stunning macro: Frogfish, colorfull nudies, mandarin fish....and the island is beautiful: still very authentic and with the true ' bounty feeling' (very romantic for honeymooners ;-) )

We, Malapascua Exotic Island Dive and Beach Resort, are the biggest on the island. This doesn't mean we're a 'factory' though, but we do have 6 boats which means we very often can cater for guests wishes. We have rooms in different price ranges, a highly acclaimed restaurant, beach garden with hammocks and our own spa for a relaxing massage.
If you would be interested, please don't hesitate to have a look at our website ww.malapascua.net, ask me here on the forum or to contact us at info@malapascua.net

Whatever you guys decide to do: hope you have a wonderful time!!

Erica

Hey there and if you do decide to visit Boracay I hope you decide to come to our dive center at station one. I am American and just bought the dive shop about 1/5 years ago and we can help you with everything here, hotel, transfer and most important your diving experience. Check out our website and please contact me for anything I can help you with. Boracay is a beautiful place you will be happy you decided to visit. Welcome to New Wave Divers, Boracay, Philippines
Thanks
Lynette

Back
Top Bottom