Philippine diving for beginners at the end of July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jisoo

Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning to take my kids for diving in Philippines. They are eleven and fourteen, and I'm concerned about the safety.

We're going there at the end of July and we'll stay there only for four to five days, so the great weather should be guaranteed.

On top of those conditions (good diving and good weather), ultimately I'm looking for a diving school where professional instructors provide safe diving courses.(No quick two-day course! No ten divers at the same time!) I also want to know if there is a resort nearby the diving school where three meals are provided.

I don't think I'm asking too much. I hope there is one and I think there should be one which fulfill all my needs.

Any comment would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi Jisoo,

I think overall you can expect a high level of safety from most diveshops affiliated to one of the major diving "brands" such as SDI, PADI, BSAC SSI. However, as with everything the instructors will vary dramatically so personal recommendations mean a lot. It seems from your other posts you're an instructor yourself, so out of interest why don't you teach them?

4 days is the minimum time they'll need to get certified. Even if they study online at home before the trip, 4 days is a good relaxed schedule.

Most places in the Philippines have nearby resorts and restaurants, so that bit is easy. Have you booked flights? Manila or Cebu? There are so many shops to choose from that it's best to narrow down your search first. I assume you're looking for a beach environment for rather than lots of nightlife?

If you fly to Manila then look at Anilao or Subic Bay. Andy "Devon Diver" runs personalised packages and has a great reputation for quality and safety. If you fly into Cebu then pick Malapascua or Dauin(Dumaguete).

The weather is obviously less able to control, in July it's 'changeable' but there is certainly a decent chance of lots of sun and good seas.

HTH.

Matt.

No one can guarantee the weather in July!!
If you are flying into Manila then Anilao and Puerto Galera would be my suggestion.
1. Anilao is resort based ie. dive, eat and sleep in the same place.
2. Puerto Galera is the opposite but you can also base everything on ONE resort. With two kids I would recommend La Laguna Beach Club.

If you are flying into Clark then Subic Bay is the obvious one.
However, you have to decide where to stay ie. Free Port or Baloy Beach(Barrio Baretto). The Aquarium inside the Free Port should provide alternative entertainment for the kids and adults. Camayan Beach Resort is right next door.

If you are flying into Cebu then you have plenty of choices. But I would only suggest Moalboal because it involves land transfer ONLY. You may also consider Mactan Island which is right by the airport.

Generally, Cebu is less affected by typhoon but......

We're going there at the end of July and we'll stay there only for four to five days, so the great weather should be guaranteed....

On top of those conditions (good diving and good weather), ....

I don't think I'm asking too much. I hope there is one and I think there should be one which fulfill all my needs.

Any comment would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Wow I guess I missed that part of the PADI Instructor course where it taught you how to control the weather. The Russians have been doing it for years apparently so it is possible. I don't think it'd would be too expensive to borrow a unit from them. Maybe contact the dive center directly to avoid shipping time?

I think what you're really asking for is a reputable diving center that is good with kids and not taking people beyond their abilities. As Matt-Reed has posted, the first thing would be to know where you're flying in to and then go from there. Know that some areas such as Puerta Galera have a pretty up-front girly bar scene which is unfortunate as they have some excellent shallow water dives with lots of diversity. If you stay there, I'd get away from Sabang Beach. Anilao is another good option.

Jisoo,
If your primary purpose for the trip is to get your kids certified then I invite you to come down to Moalboal.

There are several places which fit your requirements for safety and serving 3 meals at the resort, there are plenty of good Instructors available here as well.

One of the nice things about Moalboal is that it is not toooooo expensive although two of our nicest resorts can be a little pricey. However, check out the following link www.blueorchidresort.com . I am putting some of my guests/students there this month, and I just finished a course for 4 students there last week (to see the pool and common area at the resort look at my facebook page it shows the last course I mentioned earlier). If you need any additional info on Moalboal feel free to email or pm me.

Cheers,
Roger

I

Last edited:
I just went diving with the two managers of Blue Orchid. Literally got out the water 10 minutes ago. They have come down here to check us out and they seem like genuinely nice people. I guess when/if I get to Moalboal I will go and dive with them. I must admit I have no personal experience of being a customer or diving from their resort, but I do know people who have and they say very good things.

Seems like there are three good options for people leaving Cebu looking to dive at the moment. Will be a nice circuit for people on a longer trip :)

Hi Jisoo,

I think overall you can expect a high level of safety from most diveshops affiliated to one of the major diving "brands" such as SDI, PADI, BSAC SSI. However, as with everything the instructors will vary dramatically so personal recommendations mean a lot. It seems from your other posts you're an instructor yourself, so out of interest why don't you teach them?

Matt.

BSAC doesn't currently have any Diver Training Centres in the Philippines, We do have a BSAC Resort "Cebudive Centre". BSAC Resorts mean our members don't have to explain how our diver qualifications differ from you-know-who.

BSAC doesn't currently have any Diver Training Centres in the Philippines, We do have a BSAC Resort "Cebudive Centre". BSAC Resorts mean our members don't have to explain how our diver qualifications differ from you-know-who.

Thanks Edward, thankfully I was trained by BSAC upto Dive Leader and ACI back in the days...so I know a little of the BSAC setup :) What do we have to do to become a BSAC resort?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom