Philippine diver death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed L.

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Anybody hear anything about a 16 year old diver that died over the past week there in the Philippines?

He was the son of a missionary that our church supports.

Thanks

Any idea where the accident happened? I could ask my Filipino dive friends here in Manila. I'm taking my reg in tomorrow to get serviced. If I have some specs I might be able to get some info as well.

16 years old. Terrible...

Cheers!

I heard he was just skin diving at dive and trek.. not sure though if these are the facts

I was at Aquaventure last Saturday.

Heard that his mom was an instructor who had a checkout dive so a bunch of them went to Dive n' Trek and the young man went with them to skin dive.

When I came back from my dive in the afternoon, everyone at the resort was pretty subdued and thats when we found out that the kid didn't surface from a dive. Supposedly, the people on his boat went in when he still hadnt come up after ten (10) minutes under water.

Heard he was airlifted to Manila that afternoon.

My condolences to his friends and family.

from what I learned today...the family stayed at Aquav last weekend, was their first time in Aquav, Americans, mother was IDC staff instructor, the kid was rescue diver level. They were doing an SI and he went skin diving, testing how long he could hold his breath. People at the resort think it was shallow water black out. And yes the kid was transported via helicopter straight from the accident site to a Manila hospital, but he was already dead.

My condolences....vaya con dios

If the facts of the case are accurate, and the victim was skin diving RIGHT AFTER scuba diving, as in during a surface interval, he most likely had an cerebral embolism.

NEVER EVER DO BREATH HOLDING SKIN DIVES AFTER A SCUBA DIVE, DURING A SURFACE INTERVAL, OR WITHIN 24 HOURS OF A DIVE.

When you breath hold dive, you compress the nitrogen bubbles back into solution. When you surface the bubbles can reappear EVEN LARGER THAN BEFORE. A large bubble in the brain is not good.

In addition, the act of breath holding can force air in your lungs to form bubbles on the arterial side of the lungs.

clgsamson:
from what I learned today...the family stayed at Aquav last weekend, was their first time in Aquav, Americans, mother was IDC staff instructor, the kid was rescue diver level. They were doing an SI and he went skin diving, testing how long he could hold his breath. People at the resort think it was shallow water black out. And yes the kid was transported via helicopter straight from the accident site to a Manila hospital, but he was already dead.

My condolences....vaya con dios

My condolences to the family.

Back
Top Bottom