Phase I: Guinness Record

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you ever though about approaching big scuba gear gear manufacturing companies as sponsors?

I mean, lets say you would use THEIR gear for 14 days straight (and nothing goes wrong), that would be great advertising for them.

Maybe you can try Mares... their last sponsorship (the Pipin job) did not go well (unfortunately)...

I would think that if they are smart, they would sponsor you!

SeaJay once bubbled...
Okay, y'all... I'm ready for Phase I of my World Record attempt. I told y'all that I'd keep you posted, so here goes:

For those of you new or not familiar, the World Record Attempt will be to break the "Longest SCUBA Submergence - Controlled Environment." The current record is just under nine days; that is, no part of the diver or the diver's rig broke the surface - any surface (not even of a habitat) for almost nine straight days.

My approach thus far has involved a tremendous amount of research... And much preparation. I have spoken to several experts in the field of hyperbaric medicine, and those involved with long-term submergence victims (read: shipwreck victims). I am more convinced now than ever that I can break this record.

There's lots to discuss... And some problems that still need to be solved. The "real dive" (Phase 5) will involve a wet dive in a controlled, salt water environment set with an unusually high temperature. The water will be of a very specific salt solution to help prevent my skin from becoming superhydrated. There will also be a facility for the removal of human waste, a feed station in the facility, and even entertainment items (computer, TV, video) that will help prevent insanity through boredom. :)

Phase I (this phase) will involve a single 24-hour dive on air. This is to do some underwater testing; how my body reacts to the stress and how to properly prepare for the dive. I have some of the necessary facilities, but I am still open to whatever people here are willing to donate to the cause.

1. I'm looking for a facility that I can use... Your standard 8 or 12 foot deep pool would be ideal. The water would have to be changed prior to the event, and the solution which will be mixed in it would include salt... To the effect of a situation similar to seawater (35 ppt). While this would not hurt most pool facilities, it should not be left like that; it will need to be drained and replaced with freshwater soon thereafter. The water should be otherwise free of "shock" or chlorine. Again, this would require a fresh fill before, and a fresh fill after the dive. The facility would also need to be heated; ultimately, the water should be around 95 degrees F, but close to that would be a fine option. Under no circumstances should the water temperature be less than 85*. The facilities for this phase will not require any special waste removal facilities or any sort of weird "entertainment" facilities.

2. At this point, I have a LDS that is willing to donate 24 AL80 tanks to the cause at a reduced rate... But I still would like to see them donated at no charge if someone has the facilities. (Yes I can offer local sponsorship advertising.) I'll probably only use 15 or 20 during the dive, but there will be surface support using additional tanks... To keep things simple, my plans are based on 24 tanks. Doubles would be nice, but are not necessary.

3. We need another four complete reg setups; These should be functional and problem-free.

4. I need a pair of full face masks; EXO masks would be the ultimate, but I'd be fine with a pair of AGA masks as well. Mostly, these will be used for sleeping (I could go 24 hours without sleeping, but the point of this dive is the exercise, and a pair of FFM's should be used for accuracy.)

5. I am looking for a couple of local volunteers. I have many who have expressed interest, and for that I thank you... You know who you are! I will happily use any help that anyone can offer, but remember that I have no idea where this event is going to happen yet (depends on the facility). Thus, "volunteer local" divers (must have certification) would be required.

Thanks, y'all... Please let me know whatever you can offer.

Good luck. I have a couple of comments (I didn't read all of the other replies so forgive me if I'm repeating the same things)

1) Surface support air will solve a lot of problems for you. Why don't you consider using a commercial diving rig? Then you'll have communications, telephone, central heating and music. That'll help keep you from dying of boredom and it will give you some options if you're getting cold, wet etc. Find sponsors to pay for it. Get it on TV.

2) Defecation - How are you planning on dealing with certain primary needs? You might be able to go 24 hours but if you're there for 2 weeks you'll need a strategy.

R..

SeaJay once bubbled...
. . .There will also be a facility for the removal of human waste. . .

Hmmmmm. I've been mulling that one over in my mind. Won't that pose a problem recruiting support divers? :wink:

I also think you're nucking futs, but good luck! Probably half the world's truly great breakthroughs are made by certifiables! This will for sure be a TV special if it works.

SeaJay once bubbled...

Here's what I'm thinkin'... RavenC and I have been going together for a while... If she and I DO end up tying the knot one day, we could announce it at Scubaboard... And do a "Scubaboard get together" and SeaJay/RavenC wedding at, say, Ginnie Springs or Key Largo or something... And easily break that record.

How cool would it be to be a part of that? Good excuse to go diving, no? :)

I think with a little effort, we can nab more than a few world records...

:D

SJ, are you sleep posting again? Here ya go... lay back down; covers, your pillow, (she tucks him in tight) sweet dreams.

(She thinks about last year's suggestions of getting married at BMW Homecoming at the BMW plant. She gently smiles and shakes her head. What am I gonna do with him? (grin) I wonder if he's hinting to asking me a question?)

Would you scream and hide if I said YES, I will marry you but we'll have to wait a little while on the date? :D R

I'm wondering if the whole wedding would have to be done neutrally bouyant to keep honing those DIRF skills?

I can just see it now, SJ has a backplate with tails, Raven has a train on her backplate.

At the beginning of the cermony the minister says (through FFM with comlink) "If anyone has an objection to this union, let them yell "STR***" now or forever hold their peace"

At the end of the ceremony the minister says "SJ you may now donate your long hose to the bride." :wacko:

Then the bride and groom get whisked away on a long body gavin.

Cave Diver once bubbled...
At the end of the ceremony the minister says "SJ you may now donate your long hose to the bride." :wacko:

Honestly, I would prefer the kiss the bride method. We've been practicing that move uw for a while now, but he must promise to keep me as his dive buddy and only donate his long hose to me from death do us part. Heeeheee.

Back
Top Bottom