PG resort report: RED SUN (and restaurants)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JasonC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
2 friends and I stayed at a Korean owned resort, Red Sun. From the ocean, it appears to be the largest resort, and is located in Small La Laguna, near the border with Big La Laguna. Surprisingly, the rates were very reasonable.

See pics.

The resort is pretty (Mediterranean style), the pool and the rooms are nice. We only got charged Php 3,000 per night for a room with 2 double beds.

They have WiFi in the restaurant at the top, and in the divers dry area at the bottom.
Nearby rooms have a signal too.

They have a scuba teaching pool.

The restaurant at the top was so-so. One of the waitresses was completely useless. The food was average to not-bad. The coffee was reasonably drinkable, but not bottomless (I drink a min of 2 mugs in the morning). The omelettes weren't bad. One night it rained so we ate dinner there, and decided to order Korean food because that was their specialty. It was decent. (I've had good Korean food in Seoul).

So just about every lunch and dinner my friends and I would walk to Sabang and eat there. Before sunset we'd go to one of the 2 floating bars, and have a few beers at happy hour before dinner (Php 30 !) You stand next to their sign on the shore to be picked up by their shuttle boat.

If you plan to walk to and from Sabang after dark, bring a small flashlight.

Our favorite restaurant was TAMARIND in Sabang.
The banana flambee was DIVINE - the best I've ever had! I'm still having dreams about it!
The grilled Lapu lapu (grouper) was awesome.
And the Beef Carpaccio appetizer was to die for!
Typical cost was $10 per meal including a fruit shake or a beer.

Other good restaurants were the resto of El Galleon (also in small La Laguna), and the resto of Atlantis (next to, and away from the water, from Tamarind).

Hope these tips help someone!

Attachments

• resort5.jpg
    resort5.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 84
  • resort4.jpg
    resort4.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 73
  • resort3.jpg
    resort3.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 67
P.S. All their rooms had a veranda and a view of the sea.

How was PG at the time you were there? I presumed you were there in late November 2009 or early December. How was the diving? the dive operation of Red Sun?
Thank you for restaurant recommendations.

Mid to late November. The first day the vis wasn't so great, but it got better and better. By the 3rd day or so it was great. It was a new moon so the currents were on the strong side.

I didn't dive with Red Sun, I went with Mark @ Sea Rider in Small La Laguna.
Mark M. Narvacan at +63 921.588.5994 or e-mail searider_mark@yahoo.co.uk

I described them here
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...8-pg-dive-operator-report-mark-sea-rider.html

BTW if you contact him, he can arrange for discounts for some hotels, AFAIK, Red Sun included.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom