PFO - no dive condition?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UWSojourner

Contributor
Reaction score
I was reading "Mending the Bends" by David Merritt, MD. In a section titled "Absolute Disqualifying Medical Conditions for Diving" he lists Patent Foramen Ovale (along with Seizure Disorder, Detached Retina and other serious sounding stuff).

If 10-30% of the population has PFO, then why is a test for PFO not required before OW cert?

How can I get the test and is it safe?

Thanks.

I believe that Dr Merritt was overly conservtive on this issue. A PFO is not considered as an absolute disqualification otherwise 20% to 30% would be having problems. They are not. :wink:

Dr Deco:
I believe that Dr Merritt was overly conservtive on this issue. A PFO is not considered as an absolute disqualification otherwise 20% to 30% would be having problems. They are not. :wink:
Ok, I can see we have a professional disagreement. What type of diving would you recommend not be done before testing for PFO? Technical? Any decompression diving?

And, how do I go about getting the test? Do I need to get a cardiologist to do it? Is it a safe procedure?

Thanks

Never mind. Got the info over at thedecostop. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom