Petrel repaired by Rebreathers, USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mruseless

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just wanted to give a shout out to Rebreathers, USA in Everett, WA for the fantastic service on my Shearwater Petrel.

I took out my dive gear recently for a trip, and my Petrel would not turn on. I opened the battery compartment to find a leaking battery. Perhaps it was my mistake for leaving a battery in for several months, but there is nothing in the Petrel manual that says you need to remove the battery for long term storage. Plus, I’ve had a battery in it for as long as I’ve owned it, for months at a time with no issues. Anyway, I cleaned the battery compartment and put in a new battery. Still wouldn’t start.

Shearwater referred me to Rebreathers USA for repairs. They did a fantastic job, not only fixing the battery contacts, but also replacing the battery door, the front clear coverplate (which had a couple deep scratches), and also updated the firmware. Turnaround was only a couple weeks total, and the cost was very reasonable.

As a side note, I’m filing a damage claim with Duracell, since the battery was not past it’s expiration date and the Petrel manual does not advise removing the battery for storage. Good thing I saved the battery. Duracell will probably deny the claim, but it never hurts to ask. Rebreathers USA helped by making sure the cause listed on the repair invoice was a leaking battery.

Thanks again to Rebreathers USA, I highly recommend them for Shearwater repairs!

Glad it worked out. Indeed, I didn't see any mention of battery removal for long-term storage in the Petrel manual, but Shearwater does include a warning in the Perdix manual (pg. 79): https://www.shearwater.com/manuals/Perdix-Operating-Intructions-Manual.pdf

"Alkaline batteries are especially prone to leaking corrosive battery acid when completely discharged. Remove discharged batteries immediately, and do not store your Perdix for more than 2 months with an alkaline battery installed."

Glad it worked out. Indeed, I didn't see any mention of battery removal for long-term storage in the Petrel manual, but Shearwater does include a warning in the Perdix manual (pg. 79): https://www.shearwater.com/manuals/Perdix-Operating-Intructions-Manual.pdf

"Alkaline batteries are especially prone to leaking corrosive battery acid when completely discharged. Remove discharged batteries immediately, and do not store your Perdix for more than 2 months with an alkaline battery installed."

Good to know, I would have left them in there until they were dead.

I ruined a light with Alkalines. They are now promptly removed from my Shearwater , light and everything else for storage.

Good points, I didn't see the Perdix manual since I don't have one (yet!). Needless to say, I will be removing the battery from my Shearwaters in the future!

Last edited:
Good points, I didn't see the Perdix manual since I don't have one (yet!). Needless to say, I will be removing the battery from my Shearwaters in the future!

I remove the batteries from everything if I'm not going to be using it in the near future. I lost a few lights due to batteries dying a horrible death inside.

It's good to know there's a company that can work on them, thanks for sharing.
I only run a quality lithium battery in my shearwater. As I understand it, they are less likely to leak. I just changed one that I ran for over a year with no problems. Food for thought

Back
Top Bottom