petrel nitrox recreational mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like what I'm hearing, as I am an instructor & frequently do decompression diving at the end of the day, after working with the students. This mode could be very helpful. Just 1 more question, I run my Petrels on the VPM for my technical diving & the info on the recreational mode states it is based upon the Buhlmann ZHL-16C algorithm. Are these compatible? Or will it run the NDL's off the VPM? Just curious, as I like to have the VPM & use V-planner tables for back-up for technical diving. Does the computer switch back & forth with consideration for both algorithms when it comes to tissue loading & decompression needs? Thank you for the insight, Bruce.

Yes, all of the old modes are still there. This adds a new mode that is simpler and more clear for the recreational diver. It allows you to have an appropriate interface for the type of diving you are doing. For example, if you are an instructor or divemaster, you can use the recreational mode during classes and then switch it to technical mode when you are doing decompression dives.

You can also just ignore this mode.

Bruce

Sorry if this is a stupid question I have a new Petrel and just downloaded Desktop and update V12 and don't have the new OC Rec mode. Unless I'm missing something, which is quite possible, I'm assuming that update is not currently available. If not, when will it be available? I see from a post above your Facebook page says by end of March, just looking for actual date if there is one. Thank you.

I'm assuming that update is not currently available.
You are right :D It is not out yet.
I am not quite sure though why someone would want a recreational mode on a trimix computer, that sounds like disabling 3rd to 6th gear on a Ferrari.
The only feature I could think of using is the timer for safety stops.

I am not quite sure though why someone would want a recreational mode on a trimix computer, that sounds like disabling 3rd to 6th gear on a Ferrari.

Cheers for the info. Im not a trimix diver, only recreational at this stage. Given my age and stage in life I'm unlikely to get into Tec diving but did want a reliable, colour, robust computer backed by great customer service. My last, rather expensive, computer died prematurely and I was given a complete refund so had the money burning a hole in my pocket. The rec mode may suit my needs better. Time will tell. Pretty keen to have a play though.

Well Agility, I'm not a tech diver but I have a lot around me and they all told me that most of the tech divers are just using their computer on bottom timer and rely more on their calculation and tables. So we could argue that the rec mode will be the most used one, won't it?:)

Well Agility, I'm not a tech diver but I have a lot around me and they all told me that [-]most[/-] some of the OC tech divers are just using their computer on bottom timer and rely more on their calculation and tables. So we could argue that the rec mode will be the most used one, won't it?:)

more better 4 u :) tables R fine, but planning dive to a big table and using computer to dive within it even better. go ccr and table gets even trickier bc u not really at planed ppo2 100% of dive.

I am a tech diver & have 2 Petrels & a Predator (CCR controller). I use the Petrels as a primary & as a back-up, with V-Planner tables as a second back- up. Yes, I know how to plan a dive on tables, but prefer to get the most out of my dives, which are usually multi level anyway, by using the computers. In no way do I look down on those who choose to use tables,... to each their own. It is rather inaccurate to say that "most" tech divers use bottom timers & tables.

I can see the value in this new mode. New divers will also love the shearwaters...
Can we expect a cheaper, recreational only but upgrade able version Bruce?.

---------- Post added March 28th, 2014 at 08:26 PM ----------

The next question will be price point...

I like what I'm hearing, as I am an instructor & frequently do decompression diving at the end of the day, after working with the students. This mode could be very helpful. Just 1 more question, I run my Petrels on the VPM for my technical diving & the info on the recreational mode states it is based upon the Buhlmann ZHL-16C algorithm. Are these compatible? Or will it run the NDL's off the VPM? Just curious, as I like to have the VPM & use V-planner tables for back-up for technical diving. Does the computer switch back & forth with consideration for both algorithms when it comes to tissue loading & decompression needs? Thank you for the insight, Bruce.

I am quite disappointed that recreational mode does not include VPM. It includes just GF in all calculations. Anyway, I don't see a single reason to switch from tec to rec :)

The only thing that I am missing in tec mode is a list of all deco stops.

I updated my firmware and took the Petrel on a couple of dives yesterday to check out the recreational mode. If I could have switched back to tech mode in mid-dive I would have. Not that it's bad, it's just not for me. It's nice, and probably good for less experienced divers, but I fould there to be less information than in tech mode and the numbers weren't quite as readable for my eyes. I like being able to have the GF99 option right on the main screen without having to scroll for it. It is very handy to know when you have switched from on-gassing to off-gassing, and I find myself doing safety stops and selecting the depth based on the GF99 percentage rather than time, although I always wear a backup computer that shows a safety stop countdown. Not much point in doing a safety stop if you're barely off-gassing, which can happen at 15-20 feet. But there are other reasons to do the upgrade even if you don't use the recreational mode.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom