petrel nitrox recreational mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jallen013

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
so i'm about to decide that the mrs. and i are ready to step up from our entry level watch-type computers to petrels. i've been researching and reading and reading and researching about gradient factors and then i come across this *...
... and i'm even more interested in the petrel than i was before.

any info beyond what's on the linked web page you could divulge about the nitrox recreational mode would be greatly appreciated - specifically, approximate availability timeline and bottom row configuration options.

thanks!

* for the record, i will still continue educating myself as to why any dive computer is telling me what it's telling me.

As long as you are staying within NDL's it is no biggie. The GF's can affect the NDL's & how conservative it is. Programming is very simple by going to "define gases" part of the menu, put in the mix you are diving, leave the HE (Helium) part at 00 & dive it. Be aware that the computer has no audible alarms & if you do go into & violate decompression,... it will not lock you out. It will only ask you to confirm that you missed the stop.The computer can basically be set as conservative or liberal as you want. If not familiar with it, the computer does have the potential to hurt you, if not careful & aware. The computers are usually pretty easy to get a hold of through most dealers quickly. Bottom row can not be configured to the best of my knowledge, but the middle row can. It is all in the menu & it is a revolving menu.

It seems this is a completely new firmware, according to the linked page it is the bottom row that can be configured.

Maybe I am missing something, however after having checked the website of Shearwater Research, there is an update for the PREDATOR firmware, dated on 12-03-2014, while the PETREL firmware v1.2 dates from April 2013.

If there is an announcement for the PETREL, where can I find it?

Maybe I am missing something, however after having checked the website of Shearwater Research, there is an update for the PREDATOR firmware, dated on 12-03-2014, while the PETREL firmware v1.2 dates from April 2013.

If there is an announcement for the PETREL, where can I find it?

The new firmware isn't out just yet.

from shearwater research's facebook page:
Some of you may have guessed it. We're releasing a Nitrox Recreational Mode for the Petrel. With availability expected by the end of March, the Nitrox Recreational Mode will be available free of charge, as a firmware update, on all Shearwater Petrels. This new Nitrox mode is clearer and easier to use than ever before. Perfect for Air and Nitrox diving, the new mode offers optional safety stops, obvious warnings and plenty of customization.

from the page linked in the first post of this thread:
safety_stop.png deco_stop.png

from shearwater research's facebook page:

from the page linked in the first post of this thread:
View attachment 180353 View attachment 180354

Something I didn't know, since I use mine for technical diving. Could be a useful mode, as long as I can still use the technical part of it also.

Could be a useful mode, as long as I can still use the technical part of it also.

Yes, all of the old modes are still there. This adds a new mode that is simpler and more clear for the recreational diver. It allows you to have an appropriate interface for the type of diving you are doing. For example, if you are an instructor or divemaster, you can use the recreational mode during classes and then switch it to technical mode when you are doing decompression dives.

You can also just ignore this mode.

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom