PETA offers to save beach if name is changed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
PETA offers to save beach if name is changed

Richard Procter, Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, July 16, 2009
Pescadero State Beach could be saved from closure if the ...

Sea Kitten State Park - where humans and sea kittens (read: fish) live in harmony.

That's the idea behind the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals' latest campaign, anyway.

PETA sent a letter to California State Parks Director Ruth Coleman on Wednesday offering to pay to keep Pescadero State Beach open, but only if it is renamed Sea Kitten State Beach.

Pescadero State Beach is among the 219 state parks slated for closure under Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's plan to close a $26.3 billion deficit.

The term "sea kitten" is an effort to evoke the same sympathy for fish that people feel for cats and dogs, according to PETA Manager of Campaigns Lindsay Rajt.

"Pescadero means 'the place to fish,' so we thought by renaming it 'Sea Kitten State Beach' we could make it the place for fish instead of fishing," she said.

"We're optimistic that (Coleman) will accept our offer," Rajt said.

California parks department could not be reached for comment by press time.

Asked if not renaming the beach to include the term "sea kitten" is a deal breaker, Rajt said: "It would be." Although if the state agreed to prohibit fishing at the beach in return for funds, PETA "would perhaps consider it," she said.

Oh, yawn... they're at it again eh Phil.

More free PETA advertising

If they will also agree the change it back after the State can afford it, good.

OTOH, who really cares what PETA does? If they want to spend that kind of money to keep a Beach open, let 'em. Will they still allow fishing there?:wink:

Rather take the closure.

Wish I had the funds to help, but I would rename it Sea Kitten Hook & Grill Beach.

Wish I had the funds to help, but I would rename it Sea Kitten Hook & Grill Beach.
Perfect!:rofl3:
agreed:lotsalove:

It'd just be a couple of signs that no one would pay attention to anyway. 3COM or Candlestick? AT&T or SBC park or Pac-Bell park? Same Difference, IMO. If they want to pay to keep it up, more power to them. They just shouldn't have affect our right to use it as a state park.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom