Pet peeves of SCUBA diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is absolutely nothing I don't like about diving. I love it all...

There are things about forums like this that I don't like... such as all the bad information given and new divers thinking they can come here and find an answer as if this is the holy grail of diving.

There certainly is some grail worthy information here... conversely there is a ton of toilet water here.. and both are spouted off as if they are the one and only correct answer.

How is a new diver suppose to know the difference? The answer is they cant.

There is a lot of expererience on this board... some great divers, some who think they're great, some who want to be great and some that are a great waste of space on the board...

So my final point is... unless you know the poster... and have dove with the poster... and respect the poster as a proven diver in that which they speak of... don't trust everything you read here... Take it with a grain of salt... and remember... the best knowledge gained - is that which you obtain yourself... Get off the couch - Explore Your world... learn by doing... and don't depend on anyone else for the "right" answer... at least not unless you already know the right answer before you ask the question. That way, you're just reinforcing your own knowledge and belief with experience.

There are things about forums like this that I don't like... such as all the bad information given
ain't that the truth.

Oh...the irony.

I'm not a big fan of people who think they know everything after 50 dives.

I'm not a big fan of people who think they know everything after 500 dives.

No matter how much I think I've learned, it doesn't take but about 10 seconds to prove myself wrong.

I thought I had it all figured out during my OW dives. Buoyancy, check (I was drifting along in Cozumel, where all buoyancy issues are masked by the constant motion)....air consumption, check (again, I was drifting and not expending any energy)....dealing with an OOA situation, check (it's easy to hand your octo off to an OOA diver when you're kneeling on the bottom and you know the OOA signal is coming)....etc.

Then, I quickly realized that I knew nothing when I got back to socal where there were no drift dives. The more I dive, the more I learn.

It will be a sad day when I know everything. I'm pretty sure the day I "know everything" will be the day that I do something dumb and end up in the chamber/hospital/coffin. I hope to learn something on every dive, and I hope never to become complacent.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I know that poster - can you guess which category?

:popcorn:

"dove with the poster"?

or was it worked for the poster?

Real good Ravens game last night, Terri.

This is really small. More of an "area for improvement", than a pet peeve:

Some Florida dive boats have pricing that is "weights and tanks included". We would rather use our steel 100's with nitrox than aluminum 80's and air provided by the boat. Bring your own tanks and pay for two you don't use? It would please a lot of us if if these boats priced tank rental as an option.

I hate it when there are new OW divers always wants an experienced diver one with a 100 or so dives to go and dive with them no if and or buts.

In reality every diver starts with "0" under their belts. That makes things hard for me to go diving. To be honest with all of you I would not mind diving with a fresh student like myself so we both can learn, together instead of mostly playing "catch up" with an experienced diver.

I'm really not sure I know what this says, but it sounds as though you disapprove of new divers diving with experienced folks? That's sad. I really love to dive with new divers, because I can pass along some of the wonderful tips and advice that seasoned people gave ME when I was new. I think you can shortcut a lot of dives full of mistakes that way, and become more comfortable and more competent more quickly.

There are lots of us who like to dive with new folks. I don't push my equipment configuration on anybody, but I show them what I use and tell them why I like it. I DO insist on a dive plan, gear check, and gas plan before we get in the water, but that's just good diving. (I insist on it with my experienced buddies, too!)

If you've had experiences that have put you off diving with experienced folks, that's really unfortunate. There's a lot to learn about diving, and you can't fill holes in your knowledge that you don't know you have.

OK, I'll say it. My pet peeve is the weight of the equipment I have to lug around. And, I don't like currents.

Back
Top Bottom