Pervasive "Going Pro" Theme in New Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James R., I agree. It's a completely different thing. I spent my service time mostly looking at detailed high altitude photos in comfy surroundings. I did my civilian jumps on sunny almost windless mornings. Still, twice I saw would-be first time jumpers come back in the Cessna. Very scary to slide out on that bar and then... let go. There is no gentle easing into a jump. The first time you are fully committed. I was terrified that first (and second and third) time, but it cost $65 whether you jumped or not, a lot of money back in those wonderful days before computers and cell phones. You have my profound respect.

James R., I agree. It's a completely different thing. I spent my service time mostly looking at detailed high altitude photos in comfy surroundings. I did my civilian jumps on sunny almost windless mornings. Still, twice I saw would-be first time jumpers come back in the Cessna. Very scary to slide out on that bar and then... let go. There is no gentle easing into a jump. The first time you are fully committed. I was terrified that first (and second and third) time, but it cost $65 whether you jumped or not, a lot of money back in those wonderful days before computers and cell phones. You have my profound respect.

So - on topic - what is the path from first time jumper to instructor and are first time jumpers expected/encouraged to become instructors? Do first time jumpers often end up as instructors in a short period of time as they do in diving?

This is how it was back in the 70s-80s: After a few jumps where your chute opens automatically because the rip cord is attached to the plane, you could sign up for training that would qualify you for more ambitious jumps which allow you to freefall and open your own chute, hopefully before you hit the ground. Initial freefall jumps are always done with the instructor, in tandem. Only experienced jumpers stretch out the freefall to where they are close to the deck. Freefall jumps are from much higher altitudes. There is no point in doing them from the low altitudes that static line jumps are made from. It's obviouly dangerous, and the whole idea, the enjoyable part, is the falling, the flying, the control, the ability to alter direction and attitude, the spectacular feeling and vision. This is mostly self- taught as you do additional jumps. There really is no other way. As you get better and more experienced you can try new things, hold off popping the canopy until you are very close to the ground, watching your altimeter unwind like a maniacal clock. There are also specialized manuevrable parachutes, almost like gliders. I have no experience with them at all.

The answer to the seond part of your question regarding instructors encouraging you to pursue further training, the answer is mostly no. Becoming an instructor? Absolutely not. It's not that kind of sport. There is a great deal involved in running jumps. Because sloppy or inept prep and procedure leads to instant death there is a great seriousness to the whole thing. There is a certain solitary quality inherent in sky diving. Very very few casual jumpers opt for the advanced training that qualifies you for freefalling jumps from almost 3 miles up. Only a few first time jumpers do even a second jump, and not most that do only do a very few. A lot depends on what part of the country you are talking about. There are strong regional elements and differences.

I dunno about all the gnashing of teeth I perceive here--

Although there is a definite marketing aspect to it, I don't think the marketing is generally as successful as you all make it out to be (with a few rare exceptions like the folks Bob knows who produce 2-3 DMs a month). I believe that there's a pivotal point that is being entirely missed--ScubaBoard is a self-selected community of enthusiasts. Newbie divers of two main types find their way here: those who are experiencing some anxiety, and those who are well and truly hooked on the activity. The ones that are hooked quickly end up with more posts than dives (sometimes hundreds more) and see the many very experienced forum members as holders of knowledge/experience/ratings that they want so that they can be fully inducted into the "club." For every one of the SB members with 0-24 dives who comes here to ask about going pro, there are literally thousands who neither come here at all or drop in to resolve their anxiety and then drop out just as quickly. In other words, I believe that if we could calculate true percentages, there really are not so many 0-24 divers who actually aspire to professional status, and even among those, most are just thinking out loud.

An example: I just trained a pair of OW divers. One of them is hyper-enthusiastic, ready to spend on gear, talking about going to Komodo (gasp), wondering about professional training.... I never said a word to him about con-ed beyond saying that they should do some diving and then come back to me for AOW at some point. (He's a pilot, BTW.) Who am I to quash his enthusiasm? Let him have some fun with his dreams! The reality-check of the time, money and effort required will sink in soon enough, and if he still aspires to that, who knows? Maybe he's one of those who really are "naturals".

Threads like this with their "holier than thou" attitudes on display by so many just add to the entertainment value of SB.

Quero, you should spend some time in Seattle. There really is an assembly line that takes the most enthusiastic (and gullible) OW students and marches them right through to DM, and sometimes to instructor. I know about it because I was on it, and I have seen quite a few people who came before me, and came after. I've seen the burnout and replacement phenomenon. And I'm now a DM, so I know about late nights and hard weekend days of work for no benefit to me at all (I don't even get free air, because I don't dive air :) ) except that my husband sometimes says "thank you", and the students often do.

Maybe he's one of those who really are "naturals".

There are indeed "naturals" ... over the eight years I've been teaching, I've met maybe a half-dozen or so. One who I trained through Rescue just sent me an email from Hawaii, informing me that he just completed his DM training there. I couldn't be more proud ... because I know he's well-prepared and has the right attitude for it. I don't doubt he'll do well there. But people like him are few and far between.

I'll never intentionally dampen someone's enthusiasm for scuba ... but I won't "pump" their dreams with unrealistic expectations either. Some of the most enthusiastic divers I know are far from "naturals" ... they have to struggle for every little bit of improvement. I'll happily work with those people ... I'll take them diving ... I'll sell them a class when I think it will benefit them. But I will also be realistic with them about whether or not I think they'd make a good instructor ... and why I think so.

And it isn't always based on skills anyway ... there's more to being a good instructor than being able to perform skills, or manage a class. You have to have a knack for transmitting the knowledge you have in a way that a student can relate to. Some very skilled divers I know lack that ability, and would make terrible instructors. You also have to have patience ... lots of patience ... and not everyone does. If someone lacks these abilities ... even if they are otherwise a very good diver ... I will not encourage them to move on toward a professional level.

I don't see that as "holier than thou" at all ... I think I owe it to my students to be as honest as I can be when they ask my opinion about something like becoming a dive pro ... even if it's not the answer I think they want to hear. For the most part, I think they appreciate the reality check ... eventually ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Maybe I'm just grumpy or something this morning :idk:

But I do see a good deal of lamentation and more than a touch of "holier than thou" attitude on display, starting right with the opening post. The suggestion, from the start, is evidenced with loaded and judgmental language such as the following:
...in their grand pursuit of becoming a DM/Instructor/DiveGod?
...they were plying the "go pro" kool aid. I really don't think it's so much about "continuing education" ...
... nothing but greed. To me it's immoral and unethical and I refuse to do it.
and so on.

While it is clearly true that in certain areas where the market for student divers is fairly restricted (such as Seattle as described by TSandM), instructors/shops pitch the go-pro message hard; but in places where we certify lots and lots and lots of individuals, we don't feel the need to sell so much post-rescue diver con-ed to fill our classes. Most student divers worldwide are trained in circumstances more like where I work than in circumstances like in Seattle. Now I'm not saying anything about the quality of training, but rather applying the argument only to the proportion of new divers who are "pushed" towards professionalization training.

I think I may still be grumpy, though. Maybe because I'm not diving today?

One of my deepest regrets, in my early 20's I had a former AF Captain, former para instructor, offer to take me up gratias. I was "too busy" to get around to it.

Now, @ 52, I know I will never take the "plunge", but I really wish I had then, I would have if there had not been so much else going on.

Heck, I was 35 when I started skiing. 50 for diving. Never say never I guess.

loaded and judgmental language

Ah ... that ... I guess I spend too much time in The Pub ... went right past my filters ...

I think I may still be grumpy, though. Maybe because I'm not diving today?

I can relate ... been dry for nearly a month with a nasty middle ear infection. Hoping to get back in the water again in a week or so. Last time I had a surface interval this long was 2003 ... knee surgery ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom