Personalising tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

junior diver

Reaction score
hi yall, here in england we have laws what say that we should either have a black and white stripes for air or a big BREATHING AIR sticker, is there anyway to customise a tank and make it look really good with these stickers on, or maybe even a tank black and white stripes, but i would like a personal tank as i am not a person who likes to blend in, i like to stick out greatly, even look a little wierd!!!!

There are several "tank covers" that you can get. The only place I know that has them is scubatoys.com. Really not sure what they are called but they are shrink wrap for tanks. They aren't permanate so they can be taken off by simply cutting the outside wrap. Of course there is also the issue that they trap water and thus causing corrosion. Plus many other will say that they hide any type of fault that may develope on the tank. I guess it is like anything else, it's your call.
As for painting the tank, do a search and I know something will come up.

I have often wondered why divers dont custom paint their tanks like Harley owners do to their bikes. I know they get knocked about a bit, but I would really like to paint my doubles to look like a rocket pack.

I guess it is a throwback from my childhood.

crpntr133:
Of course there is also the issue that they trap water and thus causing corrosion. Plus many other will say that they hide any type of fault that may develope on the tank. I guess it is like anything else, it's your call.
As for painting the tank, do a search and I know something will come up.

You'll discover why scuba tanks are not painted, and why large decals are frowned on. Crpntr133 has it correct. Fill station operators should be checking tanks to ensure there are no obvious defects that might cause the tank to fail, possibly resulting in injury. Shrink wrap coverings, large decals, stickers, and other "personalized" efforts can both hide potential problems as well as cause them.

Doc Intrepid:
Shrink wrap coverings, large decals, stickers, and other "personalized" efforts can both hide potential problems as well as cause them.

And I thought it was just that us divers are more boring thatn Harley riders.

:wink:

gee, a few Sharpie markers and some drawing skill is all that is needed....

MikeC:
gee, a few Sharpie markers and some drawing skill is all that is needed....

I guess that leaves me out. Good idea though I will keep it in mind if I ever decide to buy my own tanks.

I like to keep my cylinders relatively bare. All that I have on them is my last name, and the visual sticker, and on my doubles a sticker that says CAUTION, breathing media other than air.

I bought four bright yellow jugs and immediately stripped them down to the bare metal. Every tank I've ever seen gets dinged and tapped against other tanks and whatever...to the point that in a few months they look like they've been in a train wreck.

A buddy of mine works for a telephone company and he gave me a huge box (roll) of orange reflective tape, about an inch wide and 300' long ....they use it to mark equipment in wooded areas, can be easily seen in the daylight and you can REALLY see them at night with a flashlight. I wrapped the base of my tanks with a strip, it's waterproof and EVERYONE knows it's me - hit it with a flashlight on a night dive or even close up in low viz and it's like "YIKES!".

junior diver:
hi yall, here in england we have laws what say that we should either have a black and white stripes for air or a big BREATHING AIR sticker, is there anyway to customise a tank and make it look really good with these stickers on, or maybe even a tank black and white stripes, but i would like a personal tank as i am not a person who likes to blend in, i like to stick out greatly, even look a little wierd!!!!

I like to be able to spot my equipment without the need to hunt arount for a name tag. But all PST e7-100 tanks look alike. A don't think stickers or paint is the answer because thay can hide defects and on
a steel tank salt water can get trapped between the sticker and the
galvanized finish possibly leading to hidden rust spot.

So what I did was buy a roll on green vinyl tape 3/4 inch wide and
wrap a stripe of it around the tank boot. Also my blue Mares Quatro
fins look just like every other pair of same in the world. I've
already had someone else toss them in his bag once and had to
hunt them down. So green tape on the fin straps, It's a really
ugly shade of "radio active" lime green as seen on the hands
watches. I use it on the handles of lugage too So I can spot my
black duffel at the airport bagage place.

I used to be a rock climber, gave it up years ago. Climbers
all use tape. Most use two colors because if they simply used
green, almost certainly two other guys would too as there
are not that many colors of tape.

Back
Top Bottom