Personal Use Dive Boats like the Boston Whaler Guardian (w/dive door)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey All,

In the search for a boat that would be ideally suited for diving for personal use (less than 25', outboard preferred, comfortably fit 4 divers, can be used for shallow waters in the event I want to go kiteboarding near the flats - for South Florida waters) - I found the Boston Whaler Guardian with dive door, and it was love at first sight. Only problem is that they are fairly rare as it seems they are made for law enforcement/military, and the door was an option. Any other boats out there with similar specs and that cool dive door? I won't be pulling the trigger anytime soon, but when ready want to know what to look for/jump on when I see it.

CIMG0001.jpg

IMG_6332.jpg

IMG_6348-1.jpg

22Guardian.jpg

Last edited:
Boston Whalers are the greatest! Seriously unsinkable and stable as any center console on the market(except the catamarans). You could probably get a 24' Whaler Outrage and have them cut a door...oh, just like in the divemaster picture. Let me know when you get your boat and I'll pay for the gas!:wink:
Get Wet

If I had the cash to buy and feed a boat right now I’d go with one of the Parker Sport Cabins Parker Boats - Boat Lineup

Side doors are a great idea but I have seen a lot of gear get washed out of them, you take a roll and the water comes in and the gear goes out.

You could probably get a 24' Whaler Outrage and have them cut a door...oh, just like in the divemaster picture.

The door has to be molded in at factory. There's extra reinforcing
because part of the hull is missing. If it were added later, it would
compromise the structural integrity of the hull.

I worked and dived out of many whalers from 13 footers, 17, 19 21 and up to the big Guardians including the ones with the side door. They ones with the door are good for resues with a victim on a backboard or stokes basket but I find it no problem just to climb up a ladder when diving.. Having the door is just not that big a deal in my opinion. I would not pay extra for one. I also find Boston Whalers to be lacking in the area of having almost no storage areas that could be considered dry. Most of the compartments get water in them easily and that is a problem to me.

I like Whalers but the door I can do without. The door is for rescue of victims and divers with heavy gear. Just get a good ladder on the boat you finally decide upon, Whaler or other.

BTW, the very forwards console on that Guardian is of course required to allow the door to have free egress, that is not a good position for use in rough water. The console should be more rearward for greatest comfort to the operator.

It is true that Boston Whalers, the small ones under 20 feet especially, do not have a lot of storage below decks or molded in storage in the sides because all of that is filled with foam which is why the Whaler will float high and dry with the plugs pulled and loaded and remains stable, comparatively, even when flooded and with luck will pop back up on top still right side up.

N

If I had the cash to buy and feed a boat right now I’d go with one of the Parker Sport Cabins Parker Boats - Boat Lineup

Side doors are a great idea but I have seen a lot of gear get washed out of them, you take a roll and the water comes in and the gear goes out.

I agree, side doors may be fine in calm water but I think boarding from the stern would be easier and safer in rough water.

Thanks everyone for chiming in! I see alot of interest in the Parker and Munson boats. Any suggestions on models/configurations? For the Munson, with its big landing craft door, how would that work in rough seas?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom