Personal Dive Tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrisch once bubbled...
I did however find an old BBS posting by Bruce that gives some better background. It is hard going, so I guess I need to buy the book..

I can see that an ability to figure out a deco when things go wrong would be a very useful thing. I don't now think that's what I am going to find. Thanks to everyone for the links though it has been interesting reading.

Chris.

:wink: Chris, by all means, buy the books,...but I would have to say that....as much as I like them and find them informative....they are not quite what one would call "a little light reading"!!!

As for your second comment, I would like to re-inforce that by saying that it is not just useful, but absolutely essential. With a bottom timer, and waterproof tables in your pocket, you have a solid back-up to your wet computer.

....And, lest anyone should call this heresy coming from me, I have always said that Mr. Murphy lurks near-by at all times. It is extremely prudent to have back-ups!

Remember: CDRYB/LOUD =-)

BigJetDriver69 once bubbled...
Indigo,

I sent your questions off to BRW, but he may be off on one of his periodic jaunts for "Uncle".

A good man to talk to in the "horse's mouth" category would be Tim O'Leary. Contact him at the "American Diving Technical Dive Center".

BJD

After I posted the question above, I also thought to go to the source himself, and so I found one of BRW's posts and messaged him as well. These new tables are fascinating to me.

The stops are deeper, which is something that I expected, since all of you all (a Texas expression that I picked up while travelling there) already spoke of deeper stops.

What I did not expect is that the tables seem to use bottom mix for all of the stops, all the way to 20 ft, where you then switch over to 100% O2.

The 100% O2 also surprised me a little, because both BRW and Tim OLeary are NAUI executives, and NAUI has not yet written 100% O2 into their tech teaching standards (or at least if they have, I do not have a copy of the modern version then).

Thanks for the feedback.

IndigoBlue once bubbled...
....since all of you all (a Texas expression that I picked up while travelling there)....

What I did not expect is that the tables seem to use bottom mix for all of the stops, all the way to 20 ft, where you then switch over to 100% O2.

:D Actually, it it would be: "Y'all" and, of course, the plural would be "All y'all".

The "new" idea is the "Helium is my friend!" camp, or, helium surface to surface.

(Of course, if you had a CCR, you could load it with heliox, and it would take care of the gas mixing for you!)

BJD:wink:

IndigoBlue once bubbled...

The 100% O2 also surprised me a little, because both BRW and Tim OLeary are NAUI executives, and NAUI has not yet written 100% O2 into their tech teaching standards (or at least if they have, I do not have a copy of the modern version then).

Thanks for the feedback.

I saw a thread in the not too distant past where BRW mentioned counter transport gas theory (or something like that) that said if you introduce an increased mix of a heavier gas, it can diffuse into the tissues quicker than the lighter gas outgasses.

I would search for that thread for a further explanation. Learning this from me is NOT a good idea! :wacko:

BigJetDriver69 once bubbled...

:D Actually, it it would be: "Y'all" and, of course, the plural would be "All y'all".

The "new" idea is the "Helium is my friend!" camp, or, helium surface to surface.

(Of course, if you had a CCR, you could load it with heliox, and it would take care of the gas mixing for you!)

BJD:wink:

I am not too fluent in "Texan" sorry. Guess I forgot to properly abbreviate "All Y'All"!

My personal view of CCRs is that they are most appropriate for dives in the range of 400 to 500 ft, or else for photography, and since I do neither, a CCR is not one of my immediate goals. Plus they are darn expensive, and I have other goodies that I want before then, like a scooter, and an u/w video, and maybe even a boat and trailer!

Back on the subject of trimix deco on bottom mix, with deeper RGBM stops and only one deco gas consisting of 100% O2, the question that I would like to ask BRW is whether there would be any significant benefit to using 40/60 Heliox [40% O2 & 60% He] for deco in the range of 100 ft to 30 ft?

Thanks again for your feedback, Texan. :)

I know Erik Maiken has been working on his own deco on the fly procedure. Of course, I use my own software (since I wrote it and am obvioulsy biased).

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom