personal dive boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All super choices, now you guys are making me think about the possibility of setting up an operation on the coast... Will, where did you get the open ladder or was it custom made for you?

I have a 16' Starcraft aluminum runabout from the 60's. The entire thing has been gutted and all that is left is the floor and a bow cover. With tiller steering in the back, a 35 horse gets it up on a plane with 3 divers and gear and I can pull it with a 4 cylinder.

I built a swim step and a ladder out of steel gas pipe. It's solid as a rock and easily allows me to climb in in full gear. The steps are enclosed though, so I do have to remove my fins first. I also built removable tank holders so we can store up to 6 tanks upright.
EF, do you have any pics of this set up?

5.4m Avon sea rider inflatable RIB with a 90hp yamaha 2stroke, small cc with a jockey seat. Hummingbird 480 DF/GPS, a standerd/horizon VHFw/DSC, with 8' antenna on the rear A frame. Also have O2, a 50' tag line with float. 200' anchor line with 12' 5/16" chain and 6' of 3/8" with a Bruce/claw anchor. Holds 4 tanks strapped to anchor locker in front of CC and two tanks strapped to back of seat, will strap rest of tanks to floor. Can dive 4-5, tops out at 32mph with 4 and gear, cruise mid twenties. No dive ladder needed.

Avons aren't comfortable, but they will get you in and out of anywhere. I know a guy who was operating in a remote location and had 2 sponsons popped by an ornery shark and still made it back to the ship. My lower back wishes I had stayed out of them when the weather got tough, though.

I now dive from a 16' Cabo kayak. The Cabo is fast as heck (by kayak standards) and stores lots of gear (again, for a kayak). I live on Oahu and with no continental shelf, there's not really anywhere I can't reasonably go with it and with increasing gas prices, it is tough to beat.

Mike,

I had my dive ladder custom made. The typical ladder mount you get with boats won't hold up over time. The bracket is usually what deforms under a heavy load. Then there's the ladder length. A three rung ladder isn't long enough to fully support a dive in the water. You should have a min of four rungs so a diver can get their feet on the bottom rung and hands on the top for stability. Even more true if the divers are wearing double tanks. Mine's 2in stainless steel with a sliding mount bracket that's about 3in wide, 4in long, and 3/8in thick (not two posts).

Safe Diving,
Will

Most people in "personal" size boats remove their equipment before boarding. Me being a sometimes exception to that but most small craft owners remove the gear in the water, normal commercial "diver" ladders work just fine or OEM ladders.

Wife on Garlick dive ladder removing fins on our "personal" sized Boston Whaler, it is a three rung ladder and does just perfect for us:

IMG_1607_edited-1.jpg

N

My wife and I love our Parker 2320 for both fishing and diving. There is plenty of room for tanks and gear, and we have had as many as six divers on the boat.

The swim step makes it easy to get aboard without a ladder if you hang your BCs on a gear line, or you can use the ladder and climb aboard with all your gear on.

We have roll-control racks for 12 tanks and they work real well. I made a seat on the stern for gearing up so we can just sit and slide into our rigs.

Now if we could just get some warm, clear water, we'd be peachy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom