Permanently illuminated dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fpena06

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all,

I'm fairly new in scuba diving and the main reason I started diving is photography. I have a computer that annoys me because I have to press a button to see the display. I have done some research and found the Shearwater Predator which has a nice OLCD display. My questions are for a diver who is not considering any tech diving and only needs it for its display.

1. Is there anything with a display as nice and less expensive.
2. If shearwater is the way to go should I wait for a possible model upgrade?

What computer do you have currently?

There are a lot of other computers out there that don't require you to press a button to see your info display. Suunto, Sherwood, Aladdin, Mares as well as various others have computers that show you the relevant data without the need to push a button. Less needed info such as temp, time of day etc will probably be left out until the push a button however for most mid-price range computers.

My advise to you is to find out what you need to get out of your computer
ie.
- nitrox
- dive planner
- PC download
- Algorithm settings
etc

Find out your requirements and then browse from the selected stock on popular manufacturer's websites. When you find a few you like, ask on Scubaboard and go to your LDS.

I don't need to press a button to see the display. Need to press a button to light up the display. I currently have the aeris epic.

Opps I misread.

You already know about the Shearwater.

Liquivision - X1 & XEO
Atomic Aquatics - Cobalt
Heinrichs Weikamp OSTC 2N & D5
Uemis - defunct

All have OLED screens.

All rather expensive. The OSTC 2N or the XEO are probably among the cheapest.

I had similar problems when using my UW video equipment. I ended up mounting (jury rigging) small dive lights, computers, even compasses to the housing and light arms to put them closer within reach. On my Suunto I modified the settings to keep the illumination on longer. I rigged the computer to be on one of my housing carry handles to make watching it and pressing any buttons easier.

Liquivision is coming out with the Lynx, for recreational and light tech diving, which should be a little cheaper. The OLED displays on all their displays are beautiful--my X1 is bright enough to to easily follow the line out of a cave with no other lights on.

I use a Mares M2, it's no longer available but a used one might be on ebay. It has a pretty big screen and can be used with a constant back lit display. It uses user replaceable AAA batteries. Best of all, it's cheap and works great. (But looks a bit dated...)

You could always try one of these.
DataMask HUD

I have one and love it. The display is always lit and the brightness is adjustable for night dives etc.

Back
Top Bottom