Permanently illuminated dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all! Think I'll go with the Predator. Any rumored new computers coming from Shearwater?

About all I have heard of is the short term release of VPM-B for the Predator. Consider that the Predator is only a couple years old, I would not expect new hardware myself any time soon, but who knows?

- Tim

The Predator is already more computer than you need, and the software is user up-datable. I don't understand why you are unable to read the Epic, but the Predator should be easier to read with the OLED color graphics.

Just in case anyone is looking for more info: There are several OLED or AMOLED computers, Shearwater, Liquivision, Atomic Cobalt- Uemis is gone, I know very little about the Heinrichs Weikamp OSTC 2N & D5. Except for the Cobalt these are all targeted mainly at technical divers, though could certainly be used by anyone. These are going to have the brightest, clearest displays by far, and they are always illuminated. These screens are emissive, so they don't need backlighting- only the pixels actually lit consume power. This makes them far more power efficient than color LCD displays (Mares Icon), which will gobble batteries if the backlight is used very much. They are, however, more expensive.

The active matrix OLED (AMOLED) screens as used in the Cobalt are the most efficient, particularly in the larger sizes, but are in very short supply now as the industry is retooling. In a few years, prices will probably come down, but for now it's pretty expensive tech. Disclosure: I'm one of the original developers of the Cobalt.

Ron

Liquivision is coming out with the Lynx, for recreational and light tech diving, which should be a little cheaper. The OLED displays on all their displays are beautiful--my X1 is bright enough to to easily follow the line out of a cave with no other lights on.

LOL - you're right. :) my X1 totally messed up my lights out lost line drills.

Bjorn

Back
Top Bottom