perils with no dive weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In case of runaway inflator, first use the inflator's dump button, then disconnect the inflator hose. If the inflator hose is stuck, the dump button should release enough that you can do a controlled ascent.

this ^^

If you hold the inflator hose slightly above the bcd top level, as you would do when using the hose dump, then pretty much any air that rushes into the hose from a stuck inflator button / valve will want to then rush upwards and out, rather than against water pressure and travel down into the buoyancy bladder itself.

if you do this quickly, you can pretty much stop any significant change in your buoyancy, which means you have a bit more time to sort the actually problem, (by disconnecting the inflator pressure hose) rather than having to deal with the side effects ( an uncontrolled rush to the surface)

The biggest potential peril if you don't need/use weight (or have fixed weight). Is that there is no weight to dump if you are on the surface and in difficulty.

i.e. you are recovered to the surface unconscious, without gas, then you are inherently negatively buoyant and the rescuer needs to keep you on the surface.
One of the upsetting things is the number of divers who are subsequently lost after recovery to the surface because the weight belt isn't then dumped.
This resulted in the BSAC changing the training scheme. At each qualification, there is at least one lesson that requires the 'rescuer' to physically dump the weight belt of the casualty.

If I'm not mistaken, I recall reading somewhere that sometimes its difficult to disconnect the hose as air is being surging in to the BCD.
The most common reason is an inflator that is not well maintained.

This will not help you or many other readers, but if you are a reader using a typical BCD with a pull dump valve on the inflator hose, if you pull on the hose while you are removing the inflator, you will dump more air than you are adding.

Get rid of the inflator hose, blow a bit of air into the bc if needed:

I dive with 0 weight that can be easily ditched - I've had the inflator hose issue where it starts to inflate my gear while I was at depth - I simply detached the hose as soon as I noticed it was happening, vented the extra air, and continued my dive. I pointed it out to my buddy in case I needed help at some point, but all was fine. In my situation it wasn't a full powered air blast (like you'd get manually crushing the button) but a slow, gradual leak that made me temporarily question my sanity and awareness of my own buoyancy.
I ended up manually inflating at the surface but didn't need additional lift to get up to the safety stop etc (and if I had, I can manually inflate under water, it's really not hard).
I dive a balanced rig the large majority of the time and rarely need much air in the wing.

The hose can be harder to get off while air is flowing into the wing, but you'll be amazed at how easy it feels to remove it when adrenaline is pumping. I struggle to get that hose unhooked in a pool under calm conditions when the equipment is behaving normally (and even sliced the skin on my thumb a few times trying) but as soon as a potential emergency presents itself? No problem.

The biggest potential peril if you don't need/use weight (or have fixed weight). Is that there is no weight to dump if you are on the surface and in difficulty.

i.e. you are recovered to the surface unconscious, without gas, then you are inherently negatively buoyant and the rescuer needs to keep you on the surface.
One of the upsetting things is the number of divers who are subsequently lost after recovery to the surface because the weight belt isn't then dumped.
This resulted in the BSAC changing the training scheme. At each qualification, there is at least one lesson that requires the 'rescuer' to physically dump the weight belt of the casualty.
That was always what I thought the issue with having no ditchable weight was. No matter what, you want to be easily able to maintain at least a slight positive buoyancy at the surface. Getting out of your rig is not easy (and if you have no neoprene exposure protection, might not help anyway). A BCD is, famously, not a flotation device. So you want something that can very quickly be removed, even if you're right at the beginning of the dive and at maximum weight.

I currently need no weight.
Im as light/buoyant as I can be.
The optimal scenario at the surface.
Why are you suggesting that I add weight?

Would you go over what you posted...

As a formerly skinny person that was negatively buoyant without weights you will be fine, just make sure your buddy is aware that you do not have or need weights!

PADI has added the same requirement for the same purpose.

On the other hand, a properly weighted diver with an empty tank at the surface will have a hard time sinking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom