Performance brand regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wcorti

New
Reaction score
Has anybody ever heard of Performance brand regulators? I recently acquired a used regulator setup which has no discernable manufacturer markings on it. My local dive shop was unable to identify it either so I havn't been able to get it serviced. The person who gave me the setup said the manufacturer was Performance, but it belonged to her father and she really didn't have much information. A search on the internet hasn't yeilded any sucessful results. FWIW, the reg's purge valves have SABA and CABA printed on them and the 1st stage is stamped "Made in Italy". Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

I think that Performance Scuba was a mail order company back in the 80's and you may have one of their house brand regs. It was probably manufactured by a mainstream scuba manufacturer and just labeled Performance.

cnctina:
Does it look like a scubapro reg?
Not really up on all the different regulators. I'm not sure I could identify one from another without an obvious label or marking. I would think if it was one of the mainstrem manufacturers my local dive shop would have picked up on it.

wcorti:
Has anybody ever heard of Performance brand regulators? I recently acquired a used regulator setup which has no discernable manufacturer markings on it. My local dive shop was unable to identify it either so I havn't been able to get it serviced. The person who gave me the setup said the manufacturer was Performance, but it belonged to her father and she really didn't have much information. A search on the internet hasn't yeilded any sucessful results. FWIW, the reg's purge valves have SABA and CABA printed on them and the 1st stage is stamped "Made in Italy". Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

wcorti,

I have a Performance regulator that I bought back in the early '90s. They were a mail order outfit that I believe was related to Performance Bicycle.

My regulator is nothing but a Mares MR-12 that has a Performance branded front cover on the second stage. I have never had a problem getting it serviced. Every dive shop I've taken mine to recognized it immediately as a Mares MR-12.

Hope this is of some use.

Rickg

"Performance Diver" was a catelog sales outlet that went out of business 6 or 7 years ago. As I recall, they sold IDI and Meltron regs. The SABA was one of those regs. I remember some Performance Diver adds in late 90's Skin Diver mags. The Sept 1997 mag has an article on the Meltron Saba. The Cabo was the octopus. Article ends with "For more information or the name of your nearest Meltron dealer call Dura Pro Systems at (800)-345-6634.

Good luck. I suspect all the culprits are gone but you may have some success with one of the large independent service centers.

rickg:
wcorti,

I have a Performance regulator that I bought back in the early '90s. They were a mail order outfit that I believe was related to Performance Bicycle.

My regulator is nothing but a Mares MR-12 that has a Performance branded front cover on the second stage. I have never had a problem getting it serviced. Every dive shop I've taken mine to recognized it immediately as a Mares MR-12.

Hope this is of some use.

Rickg

Thanks, maybe I should try another dive shop.

Back
Top Bottom