Perdix strap help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
The hubby and I just got ourselves the Perdix for beginner recreational diving. The folks here have only good things to say about Shearwater and its products, so we got the Perdix even though we don't intend on doing any tech dives (at least not in the near future). The main reason why I chose the Perdix is because of the large colour screen that will be very beneficial for my aging eyes. My hubby got it because I got it. Otherwise, I think he would have chosen something else.

Now that we've got it home and played with it for a while, we're having "second thoughts" about whether this was too advanced a gadget for us beginners. Our main "beef" is that we are unsure what to do with the straps. With other computers, the straps are like watch straps - you buckle it and you go. The Perdix comes with a piece of black surgical tubing and it's slippery. When we tie it, a little bit of tugging will unravel it. So while this seems to be the preferred option of many other divers, we're just not sure how secure it will be under water. We then went to the local hardware store to get some bungee rope to try - they are less slippery, but they're also less elastic, which makes them hard to don and doff. The material is also very scratchy and painful to the back of my hands. The included straps with buckles, when adjusted to fit our wrists, have A LOT of excess strap hanging off. Do we just cut it? How much? What if we need to change exposure suits in the future? Do we need to seal the ends with a flame?

Any suggestions? If you have a Petrel or Perdix, how do you deal with the straps? Pictures would be much appreciated!

The bungee/surgical tubing is the preferred mounting method for many technical divers and some recreational divers that adhere to a "minimalist" approach to equipment configuration. The accompany straps & buckles are an excellent product and IMO by far the best computer straps on the market. I use the bungee cord on my Petrel now but if I were to go to a strap it would be this one (uncut).

The straps are pretty long and that is because there is extra length to allow for thick dry suits. When I use to wear the straps I would just tuck the tail into to strap. I know of some people who have cut them and that is fine if your are 100% sure you will never need the longer straps. If you do cut them you should sear the ends with a hot flat edge to cauterize the ends so they do not fray or unravel. Many Home Depots have a hot cutting tool in their Hardware Departments for cutting rope. This should work too.

I dive with a Petrel - I use it both with a thick drysuit and also on a bare wrist for warm water diving. I use the straps that came with it and yes there is plenty of spare when in a wetsuit or bare wrist. I just tuck the ends under the strap out of the way and have never had a problem.

If you are worried about the 'technical' nature of the unit, have a look at the 'recreational mode' and consider changing it to that - I am sure I saw the Perdix has it as well as the Petrel.

Obviously it is personal preference but they are excellent units, will likely do everything you ever want it to, and has the benefit that it is great for tired ageing eyes like mine :)

Good luck with it - Phil.

BTW...the two of you got one heck of a great computer. Between the excellent performance of the computer and top-notch customer service from Sherwater, the Predator & Petrel computers have become the market's benchmark for Dive Computers of this caliber.

Oldbear - That's why we got it! The folks here on Scubaboard say it's THE computer to get! :wink:

Seems like if we don't know if we will need longer straps in the future (and we don't know), the best bet is to just tuck the excess in the strap. I think that's what we'll do for now and see how that goes.

Phil - yes, we'll be using the recreational mode.

Thanks!!!

the straps are not that expensive (or hard) to replace should you need a different length.......trim them to make life easy...

You can use an elastic to hold the excess strap back on itself. You can watch this to help also.

cutting down petrel straps

Some other strap ideas. Best way to put it on with straps, and you probably already know this, is to lengthen both straps and close the quick release buckles. Then just slide it onto your wrist and pull the strap to the desired fit.

Go ahead and cut them. Just make sure you leave enough to loosen and pull on over hand. Unless you go to drysuit the fit will be fine. If you do need new ones, Dive Gear Express has replacements.

And just use a lighter to seal the ends.

Hi Dogbowl,

I am sorry you are having trouble with the mounting. I did a video about tying the bungee, but never posted it publicly. Take a look and let me know if it helps.

As others mentioned it is fine to cut down the straps and seal with a lighter. It's better for us to provide them too long, since straps are easy to cut, but hard to grow.

Best regards,
Tyler Coen
Shearwater Research

Back
Top Bottom