Perdix strap help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, I also have no intention of tech diving, My son and I both bought Petrel 2s this last summer and love them, using them in rec mode. We also both use the straps and just tuck the excess underneath.

Dog bowl here is a picture of how we did our Petrels with bungee. It works very nicely. And though one piece of bungee if one side happens to break the other is still secure.

The bungee cord can be found at places like EMS or REI or local camping store. I like it better than surgical tubing or the straps which are too bulky.

157863-822257164f9c6222ef81202a54387aed.jpg

Here is the original thread: Bungee mount for Petrel go to the bottom page two to see the original photo much larger (double click on it).

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help and suggestions above. We dove with them last week and we just tucked the ends under the straps after we buckled them. Worked well and didn't have any issues, except snapping the buckles together weren't so easy on a rocking boat. I think for future dives, we may try the bungee method.

As for things I noticed underwater...the white letters appeared to be reddish brown. Just an obsevation that I wasn't expecting.

I think as newbie rec divers using the nitrox recreational mode, we kept thinking...is this it? Is there supposed to be more to it than this? It tells me current depth, max depth, avg depth, temperatures, ndl, safety stop...the usual. Then, after several dives, I concluded that we both got it all wrong. We were thinking too much of it. This is it! And that's all we needed! The beauty of it was in its simplicity of use and reliability. All along, we were thinking...since it's a tech computer, that it should be more complicated than this...but we got it all wrong. LOL! :dork2:

One last observation...we were on boats at 3 different dive locations...Key Largo, Coz and Cayman...people noticed and commented on our Perdix on every single boat! Comments from boat captains, divemasters, other divers, such as...

"Oh, that's the new Perdix! I want that!"
"Good girl! The new Perdix!"
"Is that the new Perdix? I want that!"
Eyeing my dive computer..."Did you get your gear in Canada?"
"Can't wait to get me one!"

Shearwater's really made a name for itself. Seems like everyone knows about it and wants one. I think we made the right decision in purchasing them. :D

I use a couple of pieces of tubular webbing to hold the extra strap out of the way on my petrels.

Back
Top Bottom