Perdix silicone protector... where do i get one in the U.S.?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ca95d9a8-bb6c-4053-893a-83177b3b3a61.jpg

Get some in purple and I'm sold!!

I thought it sounded expensive, too. But considering a junk iPhone cover is $10 and a decent one is $20-$30, it doesn’t seem that unreasonable. There are hundreds of millions of iPhones sold every single year.

How much does it cost to design and make the machine dies, support warranties, and cover all other expenses? I can’t afford to set all that up and if I could, I’d probably need to sell them for more.

I think it’s reasonable to want to protect a $1000 investment, especially one that has some resale value. Unfortunately I also have appearance standards so my Perdix is bare, for now.

What I need more is an anti-glare screen cover :( That was quite a disappointment on my first dives with my fancy new computer. It was easier to read my GEO for daytime dives.

Shearwater Service just did a "maintenance" on my Predator EXT. It cost $125 (plus the shipping to get it to them). That included replacing the face plate (with a new screen protector installed), the battery holder, and all O-rings. It came back looking pretty much like new, except for some fading/bleaching on the outer case itself.

Shearwater recommends having their units serviced every 3 to 5 years anyway (IIRC). I couldn't see spending half that much on a silicone skin for it.

Shearwater recommends having their units serviced every 3 to 5 years anyway (IIRC). I couldn't see spending half that much on a silicone skin for it

My Eon has a similar cover albeit in hard rubber, and it’s saved the case which is much more robust and durable than the shearwater from knocks bangs and scapes caused by diving in current near rocks.

It also acts as a stand off protection the screen (mineral glass for the Eon)

My Perdix will be getting one to protect it as it’s a seemingly more fragile unit.

How about a rigid 3-D printer faceplate? Seems like there might be some tech-savvy divers out there who would know how to create a file for others to print at their local library in whatever colors they wanted... and it would keep the same aesthetic if it was minimal in bulk.

Or you could just airbrush it with auto paint...

My Petrel2 ext just took a knock to the screen that resulted in the unit flooding and frying the circuit board. That will be a $390 repair. I expect a silicone sleve may well have prevented this accident.

The repair will include the new titanium suround on the screen which will help, but I will be investing in a cover.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom