Perdix (Last deco STOP)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Further, setting the last stop depth to 3m/10ft does not prevent the diver from performing the last stop at 6m/20 ft (or any other depth such as 4.5m/15ft for that matter). There is no extra penalty imposed for staying at the deeper depth. However, if you stay at the deeper depth, tissue updating is always based on the actual depth, so off-gassing will be slower, and the predicted Stop Time and TTS will countdown slower than real-time. The predicated times are assuming that the diver will be following the prescribed stop depth schedule.

Yes, that's the point.. if you want to follow the computer literally and having the prediction matching, you will ascend to 3 meters, and then (if it's enabled) you should perform your safety stop a 5 meters. We know you can perform your last deco at 6m with no penalty, as opposite you can still at 3m do to your safety stop (it's right at the edge of the safety depth limit), but still odd to visualize a safety stop at a deeper level than your deco... so yeah, if it can be selected with the next patch, it will be great.

However, @npole, maybe you should check out the Ratio iX3M. It might do what you want. It even has the option to connect an O2 analyzer accessory directly to the computer for analyzing your tanks.

It an awesome computer, I opted for the Perdix because it was more widely used (so inherently more reliable), it has no swappable battery (it can be recharged via usb like a mobile phone.. so it shouldn't be an issue, but I still prefer the standard batteries that can be changed myself) and because from the videos online i noticed a slower software if compared with the perdix responsiveness, I also love the two buttons only used in the perdix, after have setup everything, underwater you should spend your time to figure what buttons those what, two clicks and you're there.... but talking exclusively about the software completeness, yes, the iX3M is eventually superior.. another reason to improve the Perdix. :)

Being mainly a rec diver, only doing light deco 5-10% of the time, I have my own wish list for the Perdix AI. I would like the GTR feature to include stops and/or safety stop to surface. My Oceanic VT3 does this seamlessly. I also want the download software to calculate my RMV based on my cylinder and my gas use. Again, my VT3 does this easily in the background.

Got the point, except that I'm not "worried", I would love to configure my computer the way I like and the way it suits me better.. I would like to have it display correctly the deco depth (that is marginal anyway...), but I also want to have the water temperature in the left bottom corner, and I want the diving time in the center, and I want a yellow smile in the right bottom corner because it makes me happy.. :) ..you got the point? It's 2017 (almost 2018), I don't understand why a piece of technology that I paid more than 1000€ won't let me set my last deco at 6m (whenever it's visually only) or won't let me whatever I want in the left corner because it decided that the space must be occupied by the word "Air" (I know I'm on Air.. it's the only gas i programmed! It cannot be anything else.. unless i program it differently BEFORE the dive) or I can't change the PO2 in the middle of the screen (TEC mode) with anything else... and so on.

Nor that I'm asking it to make me coffee.. but to let me configure whatever I need, nor to arbitrary restrict some options because whoever developed the software decided that in REC mode the last stop shouldn't be selectable betweeen the available options, but fixed at 3m.

@Joneill: thank you, can you put it in the lower left or right corner? Can you change that PO2 to something else? Can i have the mini screen with the tank pressure, the GTR and the SAC in TEC like the one you have in REC mode? I can continue the list if you wish... as I replied to tbone: it's not just about the temperature, it's about the limitations that could be easily eliminated with a more open software. It's 2017, yes it is the most configurable computer on the market, that is the reason of why I'm using it instead of another one, and it could be improved. One of this improvement is to leave to the final user the possibility to configure the screen with what he/she really needs, and not with the info you guess they could be useful. We're all different divers.[/QUOTE]

You straight up bought the wrong computer. Why didn't you do some research before buying? Its not supposed to be customisable and nor is it marketed in that way. Its like buying a Porsche and then complaining that you can't move the speedo to the roof. The shearwater displays the information that is relevant to the dive. If you don't like it by something that is advertised as configurable. Then you can put in as many smiley faces as you like. In the meantime Shearwater will continue to produce products that have a level of customisation RELEVANT to the market its intended for.

I would, but I do have another job, scuba diving is my hobby so I pay others to develop the nice tools I use to get fun.

I'm not sure about the "most" ... but people who are happy with something that could be improved are the same ones who were happy to work inside those caissons back in the time (and die because of it). We have a brain, and due to our experience we driven the innovation, otherwise you'll be just another sheep.

That's of course assuming that people even see what you are recommending as an improvement. Personally I don't. The great thing about REC mode is I can put it on the wrist of someone who is taking their first dive and all the information is relevant and clearly displayed. I simply set the colours to green/red and away we go. You might not think its important to display AIR on the screen but I do and so do the majority of divers as it indicates which algorithm is calculating your NDLs. If you had the wrong gas set these could be wrong potentially causing a DCS incident.

That's of course assuming that people even see what you are recommending as an improvement. Personally I don't. The great thing about REC mode is I can put it on the wrist of someone who is taking their first dive and all the information is relevant and clearly displayed. I simply set the colours to green/red and away we go. You might not think its important to display AIR on the screen but I do and so do the majority of divers as it indicates which algorithm is calculating your NDLs. If you had the wrong gas set these could be wrong potentially causing a DCS incident.
Plenty of other computers manage without the mix being on the default screen. Of course some of those have more buttons so swapping between the the options may be simpler. Part of the compromise of the physical layout is having just two buttons which makes menus harder. On the other hand you get a small computer with a relatively large screen.

If you had the wrong gas set these could be wrong potentially causing a DCS incident.

It can be dynamic: if you have something else programmed, switch to show it.. otherwise do not waste the space to show something that could be used for something more useful.
For the newbies: none would force you to change the default screen... set it to default and you have the basic info. You're confusing the possibility to customize a product (that is optional) with the ease of use.

You straight up bought the wrong computer. Why didn't you do some research before buying? Its not supposed to be customisable

The computer that should be the most complete of them all... is not supposed to be customizable? Nor that I've asked that it should make me some coffee.. I've asked it to offer more customizable capabilities because every diver is different.. imagine if you would be forced to have your pressure gauge at your right, or the octopus at your left.. would you like it? No, because there's no physical restriction that could force you to arrange your equipment differently. And for the same reason: in the 2017 there should be no technical reason that would impede me to put the water temperature in the middle of my 1000€ computer screen if I like to do so. You like to accept whatever food they'll give to you? Good for you. I'm different, if I see that an instrument I use, it could be improved, I suggest to improve it, I'm not a sheep, and I don't eat the story that the best computer available on the market is already "perfect".

While I do agree with you npole regarding never accepting the status quo, always seek to improve.. but improvements cost money and it's a business decision to not spend those resources on such "minor" matters as full customisation when instead there are other areas they are pushing (cloud app/desktop etc). So yes, it would be awesome if you could have a gui app that allows you to change what is displayed and perhaps even create your own profiles (oc rec/tec/personal 1/2/3 etc), I fully understand that it might not be a priority right now as their target market hasnt raised this as a big enough issue vs. roi

Sure Pkishino, but the GUI app would be the top to have... I didn't come here to say: hey Shearwater where my GUI app!!? :) ..but just to say that some "restrictions" could be eliminated by just modifying the software (it doesn't need any research..); and some other modification are "minor" (in example give to us the possibility to change the PO2 indicator in the middle.. etc.). I'm not pretending anything.. I'm suggesting a way to improve the product without asking for crazy/impossible things (others have posted their suggestion as well as I can see....).

Back
Top Bottom