Perdix and Bluetooth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a 2011 Mac and according to their website, I need to use the dongle since it’s pre-2012 and and doesn’t have Bluetooth LE, apparently. No biggie, right? In the dongle goes. I also selected the Bluetooth to run through the USB dongle instead of through the regular computer way as they instructed in another troubleshoot post; you use Bluetooth selector for Mac to do this.

All that....and I have been unable to get it to connect via Shearwater desktop. Bluetooth just runs on the Perdix AI and the desktop app keeps searching endlessly. No problems with the app on iOS so i updated the firmware that way. I still want to connect to desktop on my MacBook. Plz halpppp @Shearwater. Today is day 1 with my Perdix AI. :)

Anyone else have any success stories?

Thank you!
Sorry to hear you are having connection problems. Please send us an email message to info@shearwater.com so that we can initiate the troubleshooting process with you. Thanks.

@Shearwater

PC - issues:

Been using a Petrel-1 without any trouble for years. Just got a Pedrix AI and it won't connect. Initiate and it just waits and waits until it times out.....

Petrel worked last week...... I am using the Petrel dongle, and an aftermarket that worked prior (two different win7 computers). Should the new dongle make the difference, or is it something else?

Android Cloud works fine with BT connection to my tablet....

Help!

Should the new dongle make the difference, or is it something else?
Yes, it does make a difference. A Petrel 1 dongle will not connect to a Perdix AI. If you need a Perdix AI dongle, send us an email with your physical address to info@shearwater.com and we'll mail one for you. Cheers.

Last edited:
Yes, it does make a difference. A Petrel 1 dongle will not connect to a Perdix AI. If you need a Perdix AI dongle, send us an email with your physical address o info@shearwater.com and we'll mail one for you. Cheers.

Will do, thanks!

Is the new dongle "backwards compatible"? Or, will I need to be running both (seems problematic)?

Is the new dongle "backwards compatible"?
Yes, it is, Bob. The new dongle that we'll be sending you soon will work with older models like the Petrel 1 and the Predator as well as with the Perdix AI. BTW, we got your email.

This is why I love Shearwater products (I own 2 Perdix computers) because of their awesome customer support......

I had problems connecting my wife's Perdix to a Win 10 computer. My Petrel was not a problem. I read on the internet that Bluetooth communication can be affected by other wireless transmissions. I moved the laptop and Perdix to a room with no other wireless devices and connected first time.....may just be luck, but worth a try.

I have a 2011 Mac and according to their website, I need to use the dongle since it’s pre-2012 and and doesn’t have Bluetooth LE, apparently. No biggie, right? In the dongle goes. I also selected the Bluetooth to run through the USB dongle instead of through the regular computer way as they instructed in another troubleshoot post; you use Bluetooth selector for Mac to do this.

All that....and I have been unable to get it to connect via Shearwater desktop. Bluetooth just runs on the Perdix AI and the desktop app keeps searching endlessly. No problems with the app on iOS so i updated the firmware that way. I still want to connect to desktop on my MacBook. Plz halpppp @Shearwater. Today is day 1 with my Perdix AI. :)

Anyone else have any success stories?

Thank you!

Hi, everyone. I have an update!

I was able to use the Shearwater dongle to get continuity and handoff to work on my early 2011 MacBook (woohoo!) that Apple did not make compatible without some "tweaking". I just leased some new life back into my really old computer so I am stoked about that. Unfortunately, I was still unable to get it to connect to my Perdix despite help from Shearwater. They mentioned that even then, not all computers will connect. Doh! It was suggested that I download via bluetooth to the app on my phone which I have no problem doing and then downloading Shearwater Cloud for desktop and syncing it that way. It is acceptable but not ideal but I will take it since it is a solution. :)

Also, I have been using DiveLogDT on my Mac and DiveLog for iOS for quite a while with my Suunto. I purchased the Shearwater download option in the app recently and I am happy to report that it works flawlessly and it was really easy. That syncs both ways between app and computer as well as backing up to the cloud. It was more ideal for me since I have all my other dives in that ecosystem already and also solves my problem with not being able to connect my older Mac to my Perdix AI.

Hi, everyone. I have an update!

I was able to use the Shearwater dongle to get continuity and handoff to work on my early 2011 MacBook (woohoo!) that Apple did not make compatible without some "tweaking". I just leased some new life back into my really old computer so I am stoked about that. Unfortunately, I was still unable to get it to connect to my Perdix despite help from Shearwater. They mentioned that even then, not all computers will connect. Doh! It was suggested that I download via bluetooth to the app on my phone which I have no problem doing and then downloading Shearwater Cloud for desktop and syncing it that way. It is acceptable but not ideal but I will take it since it is a solution. :)

Also, I have been using DiveLogDT on my Mac and DiveLog for iOS for quite a while with my Suunto. I purchased the Shearwater download option in the app recently and I am happy to report that it works flawlessly and it was really easy. That syncs both ways between app and computer as well as backing up to the cloud. It was more ideal for me since I have all my other dives in that ecosystem already and also solves my problem with not being able to connect my older Mac to my Perdix AI.
What OS are you using? I'm on a 2010 MBP and I used to be able to connect with no issues using Shearwater Desktop and Macdive. Since I've updated to 10.13 I have not been connect at all.....take that back, as I was typing this Shearwater Desktop made a connection, Macdive still has not been able to connect, I'm thinking it may be a change in Mac OS causing the issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom