Question Perdix AI shuts off underwater...Now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I took it to the pool today and two things were clear:
1. It didn't turn on automatically when in the pool and...
2. I could turn it off while under water.
So...is it defective or is there a setting I have wrong?
Screenshot_20230929_225839_Drive.jpg

Well, I took it to the pool today and two things were clear:
1. It didn't turn on automatically when in the pool and...
2. I could turn it off while under water.
So...is it defective or is there a setting I have wrong?
The Perdix does not have wet contacts. It will turn on when the sensor sees enough pressure to indicate it’s going diving. Deep end of the pool should be enough, but shallow end may not be. If not deep enough, it won’t go into dive mode, so you’ll still be able to turn it off.

Thank you. I took it down to about 10 feet in a local pool for about 20 seconds. No change. Maybe it IS defective. my wife has one too so I will try a test with hers as well.

Thank you. I took it down to about 10 feet in a local pool for about 20 seconds. No change. Maybe it IS defective. my wife has one too so I will try a test with hers as well.
Yeah, that doesn’t sound right. It should definitely go into dive mode at 10’. Was it registering depth?

Before you start to panic that your computer is broken the 20sec might be your problem. I am no Shearwater expert (well do own about a dozen different Shearwater platforms) so I cant tell you the exact time required for them to autopower up and kick over to dive mode but I can tell you they are like your iPhone they do not just instantaneously turn on and are ready to go at the drop of a hat. Give it a solid 30-60sec at depth to do it's startup thing.

Why are you just trying it for 20sec?? If you want to test it bring it into the pool at 10ft for a good 10-20min so you can see how it work play around with the buttons, functions, etc.

Before you start to panic that your computer is broken the 20sec might be your problem. I am no Shearwater expert (well do own about a dozen different Shearwater platforms) so I cant tell you the exact time required for them to autopower up and kick over to dive mode but I can tell you they are like your iPhone they do not just instantaneously turn on and are ready to go at the drop of a hat. Give it a solid 30-60sec at depth to do it's startup thing.

Why are you just trying it for 20sec?? If you want to test it bring it into the pool at 10ft for a good 10-20min so you can see how it work play around with the buttons, functions, etc.
I don't have a tank yet (uncertified - just getting ready ahead of time; trying to get used to equipment we'll use) so more than a minute or so and I'm back on top. Great suggestion though. I'll figure out a way. Longer is better...

I'm not pulling up the manual page for you. I'm no @Boarderguy... :wink: LOL!

But, I think it says somewhere in the manual that, when it's turned off it checks ambient pressure once per minute. That is how it knows to turn on and go into dive mode automatically (and why the battery still runs down gradually, even when stored). So, yeah, it could take a minute to go into dive mode, even at 10'.

If you are really concerned that your Shearwater might be defective and not go into dive mode when it's supposed to, tie a string to it and let it hang down in the pool for a couple of minutes then pull it up. It should be in Dive mode and you should not be able to access "Turn off" until you either wait for it to end the dive automatically or you choose "End dive".

Anyway... I know it's hard! Seriously, I do! But, try to chill out and wait for your class. The class is so you can learn about all the equipment and how to use it. There is not really a reason to worry about that ahead of time. Trust your instructor, relax, and, most importantly, don't go spending a big pile of money on stuff before you've taken the class.

It IS possible you will learn something in class to help you know what will best for you to spend your money on....

Back
Top Bottom