Perdix 2, Petrel 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool, but it's targeted at a pretty thin market, tech divers using multiple gas mixtures that demand AI. I wonder how big that market really is
i beg to differ.

Cave diving is "tech diving" and I (and several other people I know) do not use AI no matter what.

If I'm breathing from a tank and the SPG needle is not moving... call the dive.
If there's loss of an SPG... call the dive.
I cannot justify the need for AI at the moment.

i beg to differ.

Cave diving is "tech diving" and I (and several other people I know) do not use AI no matter what.

If I'm breathing from a tank and the SPG needle is not moving... call the dive.
If there's loss of an SPG... call the dive.
I cannot justify the need for AI at the moment.
It seems that Shearwater disagrees. AI has been out for a while, and lots more divers of all types are starting to use it. Looking through Shearwater's current computer lineup, I only count 1 computer that doesn't come in AI. Looks like the option of getting a non-AI capable computer is disappearing as well.

In the recent past, you had the Peregrine, Petrel 2, and Perdix in non-AI. Teric, Nerd 2, and Perdix AI were the AI options. Now it's just the Peregrine as Perdix 2 and Petrel 3 have AI standard. The diver has the option to buy the transmitter still. From a manufacturing perspective, I completely understand this move. The cost of the hardware is usually small, and often eaten up when you factor in changeovers to produce two options on the same circuitry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom