Perdido Pass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was going to hijack JWhitlock's thread, but thought I'd at least try to be nice, so here it goes:

Perhaps someone could go into detail on diving the pass (entry points, dive directions, durations, how not to get killed by the drunk 15 year old kid in his daddy's 500hp fountain) I have included a pic because I am dumb and need help understanding usually simple things.... I don't plan to dive there without first getting an in-person demonstration, but I'd like to have the info anyway.

wow1.jpg

Coming east on 182, you turn right on Gulf Rd, just before the bridge. At the 1st intersection there is a paved area to the right, with steps leading up to a building foundation (building blew away) you can park in that parking area.

Gear up, and cross the street diagonally to enter the water where the rock jetties and the seawall meet.

Towing a dive flag, you may either head south along the rocks, keeping them in view on the right, or east along the seawall, keeping it to your left .

Beware fishhooks, which are more prevalent than the near-miss boats. Stay submerged while in the deeper water, and if you have to come up, do it slowly near the rocks or near the seawall to keep yourself out of the traffic.

Dive on a slack (incoming) tide and vis should be decent.

My recommendation based on meager experience, is when you get out there, watch the bouys and either a) if the water is going out: enter where the seawall and jetties meet, go out, and around, and walk back in on the beach side, or b) if the water's going in a bit, walk out the beach, go around the jetties (keep them on your left) and come exit back at the seawall.

I know people do it a lot, but I'm thinking it's just a BAD idea to go down the seawall where everybody is fishing... but to each his own :D

After you turn on Gulf rd you'll park directly behind Grand Pointe Condominium. You can also dive the bridge footings to get there you cross the bridge east bound and turn right or left after you get across the bridge, this will take you under the bridge. Right now you will see a tug parked under the bridge you can entry right beside the Carib Docks. But dont dive around the docks the Carib security will have a cow....Thats a pretty fun dive also.....

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 577
Also, quite a few people just giant stride off the seawall to dive. Its a bit of a climb back up though :)

Not for the faint of heart, or the heavy breathers... When the tide shifts out, giant stride under the bridge and ride the current down the seawall and jetties, turn the point, and exit at the beach. The walk back sucks though.

Like rocks piled up :)

jwhitlock was telling me they stopped on working on them though, apparently they will have to be redone for some reason?

They looked like they started working on them again the other day so when I would go in and out of the pass I started watching....I might be a little crazy but as I watched the track hoe for about 15 min. I noticed it would dig hole and then fill the hole dig the hole then fill the hole over and over.....Must be paid by the hour......lol

They looked like they started working on them again the other day so when I would go in and out of the pass I started watching....I might be a little crazy but as I watched the track hoe for about 15 min. I noticed it would dig hole and then fill the hole dig the hole then fill the hole over and over.....Must be paid by the hour......lol

That’s curious, that sounds like what we call mucking. :confused: When we put in a Bulkhead or Seawall this is done to check for old debris and to break up any clay before we drive or pump in new pylons. I doubt that is what they have in mind there in the pass they would have to use some long sheeting to hold in that current

Back
Top Bottom