Penetration worthy wrecks???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I love diving NC but a lot of wrecks are rubble fields. I am wondering if there are any wrecks in NC waters intact enough for penetration? Has anyone gone inside the Atlas Tanker? Other suggestions welcome.

Papoose, Aeolus, 352(really silty), all the artificials(Indra, tugs,etc)...those are on the shallow side. There are some deeper wrecks that are more intact.

One of the reasons the NC wrecks are such rubble piles is the reason they are there to begin with...they were blown up by uboats. The other is that they are very unprotected from the constant barrage of major currents, surge etc.

Then you have the shallower inshore wrecks which were nearly all dynamited and wire drug to eliminate the navigational hazard aspects of them being there.

Yup! I understand that a lot of them are torpedoed ships so we can not expect them to be in intact shape. I was hoping some may be in better shape than others.

I like wrecks as opposed to artificial reefs. I love diving Spiegel Grove but it was stripped of almost everything before it went down. USS San Diego on the other hand had a totally different feel to it. You could see ammo and gun shells and you could tell that this wreck has a story to tell. The deeper you penetrate the more that story would reveal itself.

Another wreck worthy of going into would be Marine electric. Neither of the two are in NC tho

Marine electric is close enough though. Just gotta find a boat willing to run there. Ocean City is the best place to launch from, but I don't think anyone operated from there this year.

We may need to charter someones private boat for it. The dive charters are pretty unreliable. The wreck is so big that it would have to be multiple days of repeated diving. If we can get a group of 6, I am in.

It's also a very stressful penetration dive...depth, silt, orientation

Yup! I understand that a lot of them are torpedoed ships so we can not expect them to be in intact shape. I was hoping some may be in better shape than others.

I like wrecks as opposed to artificial reefs. I love diving Spiegel Grove but it was stripped of almost everything before it went down. USS San Diego on the other hand had a totally different feel to it. You could see ammo and gun shells and you could tell that this wreck has a story to tell. The deeper you penetrate the more that story would reveal itself.

Another wreck worthy of going into would be Marine electric. Neither of the two are in NC tho
If you ever make it to California I would suggest the HMCS Yukon. It is a beautiful day.

Isnt Yukon a purposely sunk vessel?

It's also a very stressful penetration dive...depth, silt, orientation

It will need line laying and strobe dropping etc. Even with those I would not venture deep into it in the first go.

Isnt Yukon a purposely sunk vessel?
It started off as that but a storm came in and sunk her during the night. I know you said you didn't want an artificial reef type of dive but the Yukon is a beautiful dive. Guns are in place and it does have access points cut into her hull.

Back
Top Bottom