Pelicans versus Otters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowfire

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all --

Just curious, anyone here have experience with the smaller Pelican cases versus Otter boxes? So far I've been leaning towards Pelican ('cos they seem a little sturdier, have valves and cushioning), but seeing as Otter is based in my hometown (and I like to support local companies), I wondered how they measured up.

Thanks! :)

I'm a Pelican & Otter Fan.

I got at least 1 of each size of Otter box that I could find, they are advertised to be dry up to 100' deep, but I'm sad to report that it's not true, I've tested allmost all my Otters to see if they would hold, and up to 80', most would be dry, at 100', some moisture will get in for sure, but it wouldn't flood.
I've tested this with clean well lubed o-rings.
Pelican small boxes are dry just for a few feet deep.

I got 5 bigger and 3 smaller Pelicans. Pelican is my favorite case for bigger affairs, they will be dry up to a few feet deep, are extremely tough, and will last for ever, the lifetime warranty is tops and it's true, they'll not ask questions, just send you a replacement part.

Otters are toughter than Pelican and probably cheaper depending where you get them.

In conclusion, Otter can handle more depth than Pelican, and if Otter ever makes bigger Cases, I'll probably switch to them if the price is right.

For bigger cases, for now I'll stick to Pelican, well made cases that last for ever and a great lifetime warranty, very expensive cases, but worth every penny sunk into them.

I've heard about UK, Storm and some other cases, but I'm biased towards Pelican (if it works great, stick to it).

Thanks for your thoughts on this, Mandy :)

So the Pelicans are only good for several feet down? What about their small 1010 (I think this is the number) case?

I've got an older otter, and it doesn't seem as strong as my pelican which i a little bigger. Just my opinion. The Pelican seems to be stronger, have better buckles, etc.

But the Pelican takes up more space and is harder to open with it's "heavier" buckles. I use my otter to keep my wallet, cell phone, etc in while on the boat. The pelican I've got is bigger and you can fit a digital camera in the housing in it. (so the difference in size might explain the strength).

Snowfire:
Thanks for your thoughts on this, Mandy :)

So the Pelicans are only good for several feet down? What about their small 1010 (I think this is the number) case?

Yep, they are good only for a few feet deep, I believe they are designed for harsh enviroments, but not for diving.
For example, you put your camera, wallet, phone, ect. inside one and go rafting, then you flip the raft and everything goes to the water, you can rest assured that the Pelican will keep your valuables safe and dry and it won't sink to the bottom.
If you plan on diving with your small pelican, it will flood after maybe 10 feet or so.

Oh!

Looks like otters might be the way to go, then.

Thanks.:)

Personally I don't use either of these. I use the Underwater Kinetics brand. Have a large one for my camera and acessories and a couple smaller ones for smaller stuff I take on dive trips. All are well over 10 years old and still holding a seal.

'Slogger

I got an old small UK box (aprox 6"x4"x3") that I inherited long time ago, the plastic used on this box seems weaker than the plastic Pelican uses, have never tried how deep it will hold dry, only use it to store small items at my storage room.

The question is what are you trying to do with these boxes? Are you looking for something to take down to depth with you? Not many big gear boxes are really designed for that. As noted above, however, they'll keep your gear nice and dry on the boat, and float it quite nicely should it end up overboard. That's what they're designed for. Some specific models (mostly from Otter) are truly rated for depth, but why you would want to bring something down to depth that you can't even open is beyond me. Car keys go in a small dry bag quite nicely... no need for a bulky, hard box.

Btw, other similar case manufacturers are Hardigg and Storm, if memory serves.

CompuDude:
The question is what are you trying to do with these boxes? Are you looking for something to take down to depth with you?

but why you would want to bring something down to depth that you can't even open is beyond me. Car keys go in a small dry bag quite nicely... no need for a bulky, hard box.

A flare kit, dye, PLB (EPIRB) are things that you may want to take down with you and may need when you surface and find no boat in sight.

OMS has a depth canister that may be usefull for small items, for the PLB, choose one that the manufacturer offer the option of a depth rated canister.

For my flare kit, I got a Personal Water Craft flare kit with 4 flares, inside an old UK SL4 that drowned through the switch, just eliminated all the guts of the light, and epoxyed the switch hole (eliminating the switch) and it can be stored anywhere you would normaly store a backup light.

My PLB is inside it's own Dive Canister and the new OMS dye is advertised as water proof for deep dives (not sure right now how deep).

The OMS Depth Canister is rated to 660' deep, and is 3" in diameter, so a lot of small stuff can be carried inside it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom