Pelican Super Saber vs. UK SL4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wolves64t

Contributor
Reaction score
SL4 vs. Super saber

I am looking for a relativly cheap backup light for night diving that will also function as a small daytime light. I do almost all of my diving in the Great Lakes or inland lakes in Michigan. The water is cold <50 degrees or so on 90% of my dives. Has anyone had trouble operating the switch on the SL4/SL6 with thick gloves on? Can both be clipped of to a dring o the chest? The SL4 seems to an odd shape for this. Thanks for all of your input.

I haven't had a problem using the switch on the SL4 with heavy gloves. It's brighter than the Pelican.. it clips off well though, especially since it's shorter than the Pelican.

I love the Super Sabers, but I don't require a lot of light. They are not nearly as bright as many other lights, but they provide enough, and they are small and convenient.

In fact I like these lights so much that there are about 8-10 on my workbench, waiting for me to clean and repair them from flooding. Mine always seem to flood. Some day I'll start putting them in sealed baggies, but in the meantime, I'll use them, then I'll dry them out...

MB:
I love the Super Sabers, but I don't require a lot of light. They are not nearly as bright as many other lights, but they provide enough, and they are small and convenient.

In fact I like these lights so much that there are about 8-10 on my workbench, waiting for me to clean and repair them from flooding. Mine always seem to flood. Some day I'll start putting them in sealed baggies, but in the meantime, I'll use them, then I'll dry them out...
... Wow.

I have seen lots of flooded Sabers, the relief valve seems to be a problem. I haven't seen any problems with the UK SL4. One thing to check out is the bulb replacement cost. I know on the SL6 the replacement bulb is around $24.00, you may want to insure the SL4 doesn't use the same bulb.

What kind oo depths are the Sabers flooding at? Do they still work when flooded? I have seen some lights that just keep on trucking even when full of water. Are your lights older models? Has pelican dealt with the problem? My dive buddy just bought some of the pelicans, so Im kind of leaning that way just so we have similar gear. That way we both know exactly how to operate the others stuff and we can put together a better save a dive kit for less money.

Pez de Diablo:
I have seen lots of flooded Sabers, the relief valve seems to be a problem. I haven't seen any problems with the UK SL4. One thing to check out is the bulb replacement cost. I know on the SL6 the replacement bulb is around $24.00, you may want to insure the SL4 doesn't use the same bulb.
$10 at LeisurePro.

I love the sabers. I've lost 2 of them darn!! I just bought a similar model that uses 2 C batteries.

You have to take care of that O-ring religiously with those lights and don't spare the silicone. Keep it clean and it should do well. I also understand some caver love em.

Now is there any difference with the hubble version of the saber. ?
I understand there were diff mfg methods used for these lights.

Chris

wolves64t:
What kind oo depths are the Sabers flooding at? Do they still work when flooded? I have seen some lights that just keep on trucking even when full of water.
I have old and new Pelicans. Most have kept working for a while even after they flooded, but that magic combination of salt, wet, and battery doesn't allow them too much time. A couple of folks I dive with make it a point to check out my lights during each dive, just to see how long it takes before there's water inside the lense.

I also started using these as a backup cave light. They have a nice grip and fit the reel nicely. But, they just aren't reliable enough for my taste for that kind of diving. As for the Hubbles, they are very similar except there is a push button on feature in lieu of the twist on. That usually takes an additional couple of dives before flooding.

But make no mistake, I'm not whining about this product. I still use them, but I do so with compete knowledge regarding what I've got on a dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom