Pelican Cases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
We are considering buying a pelican case to protect our equipment however we cannot decide what size to get. Our underwater camera and dive computers are in soft cases and we carry those on board. The rest of our dive gear is in suitcases. Which do you feel is the most important and why? And which case do you recommend?

1. One Pelican case with foam big enough to fit both my wife and I's computers. (We always dive together)

2. Two small Pelican cases to protect each of our computers?

3. A Pelican case for our camera. (About a $400 camera setup so it is nothing too fancy)

4. A large Pelican case to hold all of our gear? (I've heard this could attract attention to baggage handlers)
:confused:

I hate to say this...

we have just about every size...lol.

2 for each of our own gear
3 for each camera
2 for each video
1 we bring on the boat for dry space
2 smaller ones we pack our clothes and items in
not to mention the others we just use for storage...rofl

we've gone on the plane with them once for a trip...
i like them because you can lock them up...
mind you pelicans weigh alot and will cost you extra.

One can never have enough pelican's of all sizes!

I guess you can tell were pelican lovers here...lol

:eek:ut:

Thank you for the information. I guess you are a Pelican fan. Do you store your reg. and computer in a small pelican? If so, did you just cut the foam to fit your equipment?

Thank you for all of the info.:D

We keep the reg and the computer with the rest of the gear.... scarry...lol.

Though what I do is wrap it up in a towel and stuff them inside the bc so's that it does not get banged around, or, also making sure I pack the wetsuit around it.

With all the gear in the pelican case, which is just the right size, it's pretty snug in there.
With all the handling, stuff does not move around inside.
Oh, and on some of the cases there are wheels. I tend to put my wieghts on that end. The other end is where I stick the guages,regs, and mask. Keeping them as far apart just in case.
Weights are on a belt or in a plastic box I found that fits them all. They are not allowed to run freely around inside on their own!

Plus I watch the guy's that carry our gear for us like a hawk...rofl.

We do not use foam for the scuba equipment since after the dive, the gear is wet and the foam will get wet.
We normally leave right after the last dive. So I do a quick rinse and then another good rinse at home using the pelican case as a rinse box. c,")

For the cameras and video equipment, yes we do use foam. I do take time to rinse, dry, and wipe. When we hit home I open up the case for a couple of days to air-dry the stuff out some more as, I may have missed some spots. Something about humidity...

I dear say I should probably take more care of my computer and reg more so than my camera..*grin*

Guarnteed to outlast your lifetime...i think that's what was written on the tags that came with the pelican cases...rofl.

On our last trip we packed two full sets of gear in our large Pelican Case. We have the one with the wheels. It has two locks on it.
Be prepared for an Airport guard to ask whats in it!
We packed the computers regs and everything as we were trying to avoid having any carry-ons (post 9-11). We still had the camera to carry on. There just wasn't enough room.:wink:

dKaylinQ and Tavi

Thank you for all of the information. Maybe I'll start with a little Pelican and work my way up. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom