Peer Pressure in Chuuk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peer pressure should play no part. It's all about the dive plan. Either you can plan the dive, (or fully comprehend a plan that someone else comes up with), or you can't. If you're not trained in decompression diving how would you be able to plan the dive, or even know if the plan you're given is doable? There are a lot of dives I'd like to do, but can't, because I'm unable to come up with a workable dive plan. Whether the prohibiter is my knowledge, training, equipment, sinuses that day, whatever. It makes no difference. I'm stuck not doing the dive (regardless of desire) and saving it for another day. It really is that simple.

Last edited:
.......the san Fran 'keel' might be in 180'.......which means you COULD do a multiprofile dive on it and decide not to go beyond a certain depth.....stay on the bridge or main deck...not the keel/props.

Try 210' to the sand...

Superstructure = 150'
Main deck = 165'
1st tween deck = 175'

I'd hardly call that a "multilevel" dive.

:confused:

For a single AL80 cylinder air mix, it's basically a "touch" dive to the bow gun, for no more than 5 minutes max of bottom time. Truk Odyssey liveaboard has the best upline-to-mooring line set-up with two to three support divers with extra cylinders hovering at depth and on the upline tied to the bow. Blue Lagoon dive ops tie the skiff to the mooring line without using an upline, which can be difficult to find again at deph since its about 20-30 yds off the port bow of SF Maru.

For a single AL80 cylinder air mix, it's basically a "touch" dive either to the bow gun or the tanks below the bridge superstructure, for no more than 5 minutes max of bottom time. Truk Odyssey liveaboard has the best upline-to-mooring line set-up with two to three support divers with extra cylinders hovering at depth and on the upline tied to the bow. Blue Lagoon dive ops tie the skiff to the mooring line without using an upline, which can be difficult to find again at deph since its about 20-30 yds off the port bow of SF Maru.

Thanks Kevrumbo.....I think RJP kinda missed my point.....I didn't say it would be a long dive......but you could dive the San Fran if you kept it short and stayed at the ships higher points...it's not a suicide mission, even on an AL 80, if you behave yourself.

[/QUOTE]Questions- What are people's thought on this kind of peer pressure and the best way to handle it or, better yet, avoid it altogether? (As a side note, I think I would have been more susceptible to it if I had not read "Diver Down." I highly recommend that book for this reason and others!)
(For those of you who are curious, my fellow diver has about 200 dives and a rescue diver cert. I only have 72 and an advanced cert. I am sure the dive guide has been diving the wrecks here his whole life...)[/QUOTE]

Congratulations, you have shown a lot more maturity and self control than your insta buddy who should have absolutely known better!:shakehead:

As far as your question. I don't think we will ever eliminate this type of stupidity. How ever, reasoned responses such as yours are the best way to handle these situations. If the dive it is beyond your training and experience don't do it. If you don't feel up to the dive for any reason, don't do it. If your buddy has any of the above issues, don't do the dive.:)

SF, do you actually dive or do you believe your own BS?

A new wreck with sketchy surface support, no redundancy, questionable vis, no partner with similar training, unknown target depths, no actual training for diving at depth (air or mixed gas not withstanding), physically sick with SUDAFED being taken???...

The poster did the best thing she could, she listened to herself first, double checked with a better trained individual (which she shouldnt of had to do...) but made the right decision.

p.s. before you talk about Suunto or any other product maybe you should actually run a V-Planer profile or Baltic or whatever and run the Suunto Sim against it and see where and how many minutes it figures deco

SF, do you actually dive or do you believe your own BS?

A new wreck with sketchy surface support, no redundancy, questionable vis, no partner with similar training, unknown target depths, no actual training for diving at depth (air or mixed gas not withstanding), physically sick with SUDAFED being taken???...

The poster did the best thing she could, she listened to herself first, double checked with a better trained individual (which she shouldnt of had to do...) but made the right decision.

p.s. before you talk about Suunto or any other product maybe you should actually run a V-Planer profile or Baltic or whatever and run the Suunto Sim against it and see where and how many minutes it figures deco

...um, professor......could I trouble you to have actually read my first post...where I told the OP she had made the right decision IMHO ???? :confused:

Thanks Kevrumbo.....I think RJP kinda missed my point.....I didn't say it would be a long dive......but you could dive the San Fran if you kept it short and stayed at the ships higher points...it's not a suicide mission, even on an AL 80, if you behave yourself.

No...I got your "point" but simply thought I would provide some "facts" to go along with it.

:eyebrow:

My "point" was that the "higher points" to which you refer on the SF Maru start at a depth of 150fsw, with the stuff everyone wants to see on the main deck at 165' (battle tanks) and 1st tween deck at 175' (mines, trucks, etc). To suggest that someone diving an AL80, without any appropriate training or experience, could do a "multiprofile dive" (guessing you meant multi-level) on a wreck that offers an effective depth range of 150'-175' is recklessly naive at best.

If there's a "point" that's been missed I think perhaps it's you missing Kev's...if you believe he's suggesting doing the SF Maru on an AL80 of air off a skiff from one of the resorts is a good idea.

No, it's not a "suicide mission" it's just a REALLY bad idea. (Which of course is how an awful lot of "suicide missions" start out.)

...um, professor......could I trouble you to have actually read my first post...where I told the OP she had made the right decision IMHO ???? :confused:

And then you tell her that she "COULD" do a non-recreational dive to 150'+.....and that's OK?

What are you smoking? The OP is new diver with NO decompression training and doesn't have a buddy she can trust. IMHO sounds like she's practically solo diving when the person your planning a dive with has their own agenda.....

GOOD JOB AMY!!! you have made a great decision and have the rest of your diving career to work you way up to those kind of dives if that's what you would like.

Definitely a bad idea. I've been diving for 44 years and I wouldn't consider doing that kind of dive even for a second. Too many things can go wrong and at that depth any mistake can be fatal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom