Pee Valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

finster

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me whether a Pee Valve/Relief Zipper is an essential option to get when buying a drysuit? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

not necessarily; but peeing on ones hood really sucks... :)

Otherwise it won't be a drysuit anymore....and you NEVER get rid of the smell.
Cheers Big Ears,
The Gasman.

I know divers who swear by "P" valves (I am one) - and others who are dead set against puncturing their dry suit and use diapers. (Some men, too!)
I will say this - diapers don't run the risk of a kink in the hose with subsequent system failure and a real tough cleaning problem.
Rick

It depends on the type of diving you do, and if you have a 'hampster bladder'.

The longer your dives the better a 'Pee valve' is. By long we are talking about 3 hours underwater - long deco obligations. If you have to hang about decompressing for 45 mins then you have nothing to do, and once you have started thinking you need to pee..... there is no stopping you! The disadvantage of 'pee valves' is that they aren't overly reliable and rely on glueing a urinary sheeth over you!

Relief zippers on the other hand can only be used above water. For me this is the better solution - you can spend all day in your drysuit, relieving yourself as and when, but it can't be used in the water - so, if you can 'hold it in' (!?!??!!!) this is a good solution.

Diapers / nappies work well as well - they are really an alternative to the 'Pee valve' and can be used underwater. However, once wet they cool down and get uncomfortable. Also not really good for wearing all day.

So, decide on what you want by

Long underwater - nappies/diapers or 'Pee valve'
Just plain need to use the loo whilst on the boat - relief zipper

Of the nappies/diapers vs 'Pee valve' I would suggest that provided you are relatively discreet then the nappies/diapers are probably better. However, you still have to go and buy them!

Jon T

(PS I will get a zipper fitted when I replace my drysuit)

The answer really depends on the type of diving you're going to be doing. If you're not doing deco, then you shouldn't need to worry about it. Go before you suit up and think dry thoughts. It's not an issue.

If you're going to be hanging for 3 hours or more then look into the diapers or valves.

Of course if you're experienced enough to do deco diving involving multi-hour hangs you should already know the answer to this question from years of interaction with divers who have already "solved" the "problem"... :)

I don't understand the need for "relief zippers". During my SI I always undo my drysuit and let it hang on my suspenders. It's an easy transition from there if I need to visit the head.

Originally posted by dsquid

I don't understand the need for "relief zippers". During my SI I always undo my drysuit and let it hang on my suspenders. It's an easy transition from there if I need to visit the head.

The need is when you are diving from smaller boats (generally without a head). All my UK boat diving has been from a RIB (rigid hull, zodiac style sponsons). On a boat like this is is suicidal to undo your drysuit as you don't have space to move around, and you are always less that 12 inches away from the water!

Quite a common senario is diving in two waves - first wave finish their dive, have a 40 minute surface interval whilst wave 2 dives, wave 1 then goes back in whilst wave 2 sits out a SI. This works very well in clubs etc.. and also avoids having too many people kicking up the vis. (also alows the more experienced to go down first, and bring back a *accurate* description of the bottom conditions for the less experienced to plan their dives better.

Yes, if we hit land for an SI then it is great, other wise, it is less optimal!

Jon T

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom