Pee Valve vs Catheter.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timegan

Contributor
Reaction score
ontario Canada, where the water meets the land on
# of dives
100 - 199
:w-t-f: Ok so I have the valve but not needing it "yet". ( high sac) Just read up on it's use. So my Q. is this: of course the condom is once use only. The cath. itself stays hooked up to the inside. And of course this is cleaned/ disinfected whenever possible. Now you see the comercials about caths. with these "poor souls" that have to go through life {re-useing caths just to get buy} of course there is another way. Anyway, is that not what we divers are doing too? Rinse N Reuse. Is it just marketing, or should we also change em out every few dives or so? Just curious?

The comdom cathiders attaches to the plumbing hoses of the pee valve. Tho only part that is reused and rinsed is the tubing and the quick disconnect type fitting that is hooked up to the pee valve . Everything else is thrown away. The cost of the comdom cathider is minimal . I pay $2.00 per condom cath.

I would probibly look up a external Texas or condom catheter before I go sticking myself.

The comdom cathiders attaches to the plumbing hoses of the pee valve. Tho only part that is reused and rinsed is the tubing and the quick disconnect type fitting that is hooked up to the pee valve . Everything else is thrown away. The cost of the comdom cathider is minimal . I pay $2.00 per condom cath.

If I was a dude, I wouldn't find the cost minimal... For me it would have cost me over $250 in caths since I got a p-valve...

To the OP the female ones are reusable. Not sure if there are any reusable caths for guys, perhaps because they come with glue already on them and dunno how you'd replace that?

Are "Texas" catheters bigger than regular catheters? (Or do they just think that they are?)

:)

The comdom cathiders attaches to the plumbing hoses of the pee valve. Tho only part that is reused and rinsed is the tubing and the quick disconnect type fitting that is hooked up to the pee valve . Everything else is thrown away. The cost of the comdom cathider is minimal . I pay $2.00 per condom cath.[/QUOTE]

This part I know...but it seems that the tube "is" the actual cath. The condom is the disposable part, yes of course. The medicial commercials actualy show a bunch of tubes not condoms. They claim you don't have to/should not, re-use the tubes themselves. Change out the tube, just cleaning them is unsanitary N dangerous. Just marketing? Or are medical caths and diving caths, apples and oranges.

This part I know...but it seems that the tube "is" the actual cath. The condom is the disposable part, yes of course. The medicial commercials actualy show a bunch of tubes not condoms. They claim you don't have to/should not, re-use the tubes themselves. Change out the tube, just cleaning them is unsanitary N dangerous. Just marketing? Or are medical caths and diving caths, apples and oranges.

Umm I think you're thinking of a Foley cath, that's a tube inserted into the urethra. I can't imagine many people would want to use those for diving! The male cath I've seen used in diving is like a condom with a hole in the end.

This part I know...but it seems that the tube "is" the actual cath. The condom is the disposable part, yes of course. The medicial commercials actualy show a bunch of tubes not condoms. They claim you don't have to/should not, re-use the tubes themselves. Change out the tube, just cleaning them is unsanitary N dangerous. Just marketing? Or are medical caths and diving caths, apples and oranges.[/QUOTE]

You actually have to through away the whole P-valve and replace with a new one and on top of that disinfect the dry suit after each dive :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom