Pee Valve Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

49COE

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, Just got my first drysuit and had a Trigon Pee valve installed. I have not yet tried it, but I am trying to wrap my head around the mechanics. My question is basically about disconnecting the catheter from the hose after the dive. Assuming that I have used the system on the dive, is there still pee in the tube between the disconnected end and the valve? If so, when I disconnect from the hose does the pee in the tube drain out the valve or does it need pressure to exit the valve? If the pee stays in the hose, should I have a shutoff valve or check valve in the system to keep the pee from draining out the hose into the suit. Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I would rather ask some potentially stupid questions than get covered with a bunch of pee.... Thanks

I have a shutoff on my quick disconnect to prevent it from backing up. The Trigon has a check valve in it so it doesn't "drain" really so I would use a colder check valve on there. When you get home, you flush it out

Don’t over think it.

I use a simple unbalanced one, so it drains to lowest point relatively well. My quick disconnect had a check valve in the female side on the suit, but it broke a decade ago and I don't use a check valve anymore. You don't want a check vale on the male side that is on your male side...

Before a dive, I put the male QD on the catheter, but the catheter on my male side, then click it into the suit when I am in the suit. After the dive, I slide the cather off of the male QD, leaving the QD all connect on the suit. There is a little bit of urine in the end, and you squeeze to get it out, and sometimes it gets sprayed a tiny bit, but not a problem as you are hydrating a lot. Then, immediately, grab my squeeze bottle with cleaner in it, and squirt it through to flush any urine out of the hose.

I have 10 of the male side qd's floating around so I can't ever lose them, but so far I still have the same one in the suit, it just lives in the suit with my disconnection routine, and my last UTI was when I didn't clean out the hose after a dive and instead let the suit sit in my truck for a week before taking it diving again. That was a heck of a fever and I clean my hose every dive now.

Hi, Just got my first drysuit and had a Trigon Pee valve installed. I have not yet tried it, but I am trying to wrap my head around the mechanics. My question is basically about disconnecting the catheter from the hose after the dive. Assuming that I have used the system on the dive, is there still pee in the tube between the disconnected end and the valve? If so, when I disconnect from the hose does the pee in the tube drain out the valve or does it need pressure to exit the valve? If the pee stays in the hose, should I have a shutoff valve or check valve in the system to keep the pee from draining out the hose into the suit. Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I would rather ask some potentially stupid questions than get covered with a bunch of pee.... Thanks

No questions are stupid (unless they've been asked 571 times, but even then we usually let them slide:))

I know a lot of people use the McMaster Carr fittings. I do (with the trigon) the female side stays with the suit, the male side in the catheter. (get more males than needed, you might lose some and they're cheap).

McMaster-Carr
McMaster-Carr

Also, I use a condiment bottle from Wal Mart to flush when done. I just stick a male quick connect in there and squirt a mix of 50/50 alcohol / water mix (I also use a little of this mix on a rag to clean myself before donning the catheter to remove oils etc.);
https://www.walmart.com/grocery/ip/...2K1BaWpe2tCl2T1-TdmQkof8biQ3RUecaAoloEALw_wcB

This is not the end all be all, and I've learned all this from SB...so take it with a grain of salt.

@rob.mwpropane those fittings are Colder PLDC B series quick disconnects as an FYI

Not sure I follow? As in you can get them cheaper somewhere else? Different model?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom