Peak Buoyancy Specialty Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With regard to peak buoyancy courses. Why spend a lot of money on something you can learn by a bit of reading (basic physics) a few videos on Youtube and fin pivot practice?
Get your weighting spot on first

With regard to peak buoyancy courses. Why spend a lot of money on something you can learn by a bit of reading (basic physics) a few videos on Youtube and fin pivot practice?
Fin pivots require you to be somewhat negative and foot heavy. They are counter productive to teaching buoyancy and trim.

Why spend a lot of money on something you can learn by a bit of reading (basic physics) a few videos on Youtube and fin pivot practice?

People can read books, watch videos and talk to their local elders and barber and can become engineers, brain surgeons and even veterinarians.

It’s coaching you’re paying for.

As with most things decent coaching will save a lot of time.

Alas yootoob/et al videos of unknown quality and dubious content can waste a lot of time.

It’s coaching you’re paying for.

As with most things decent coaching will save a lot of time

Yes, and in addition, one may also pay for coaching without takeing a class, or find a mentor to help develop skills as was done when I started, back then there were no specialty training classes.

one may also pay for coaching without takeing a class
A friend and I were teaching a workshop we had developed together (each in a different state) that had no certification--just coaching. An attorney told him not to do it because of the potential liability in case of an accident. He got the workshop approved as a course (with certification) by PADI so that in case of an accident, he could say in court that everything he did in the class was approved by a legitimate training agency. That way the plaintiff would have an enormous burden of proof to show that something in the instruction was dangerous. Without that formal approval, the instructor would have to show in court that what he did was within standard practices for scuba instruction.

When he got it approved, I submitted the same course and got it approved.

I used to think I could just offer instruction the way a golf pro or bowling instructor did, but I finally realized that the odds of a golf instructor being held liable for a death to a student during a putting lesson were about nil.

I used to think I could just offer instruction the way a golf pro or bowling instructor did, but I finally realized that the odds of a golf instructor being held liable for a death to a student during a putting lesson were about nil.
Yeah, you read of heart attacks on the golf course, but they are never described as golfing accidents.

I accept that on a peak buoyancy course its coaching you are paying for but I still maintain that with a bit of thought and applied research it is something you can learn for yourself. It is quite likely that most peoples buoyancy stems from poor OW teaching or the learner was not paying attention.
1) You should understand the principles of buoyancy, positive and negative.
2) You should understand the issues that arise from having to overinflate you BCD to compensate for over weighting
3) On your first or second lesson in the water the instructor should get your weighting spot on - no air in bcd, eyes level with the surface with lungs half full whilst in vertical position, breath out you sink, breath in you rise.
4) Fin pivots on bottom, now because your weights are correct, the depth will have compressed your suit a little so you can lay on the bottom, just put a touch or air into your bcd so you rise slowly when you breath in, your body will rise slowly, the weight will come off your fin tips and away you go, buoyancy spot on - what could be simpler.
After that you may find you want to add a little weight if you find you are light at the end of a dive (less air in tank) or breathing deeply to fight a current.

Back
Top Bottom