Peak Buoyancy Specialty Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warning: climbing onto soapbox!

Currently to be one of the "Cool Kids" on ScubaBoard, groupthink says you must:
1. Dive backplate and wing
2. Throw recommendations of GUE Fundamentals course around, extra points for calling it "fundies"
3. Sprinkle in "I'm thinking of getting into cave diving"
4. Be sure to make fun of PADI and especially split fins!
5. Disparage any "for profit" endeavor
6. Hide the fact that you were ever a beginner!
7. Disparage the quality of all entry level courses (even though you took one)
8. Make fun of people who like warm water, good viz, and pretty ocean life

There are so many facets to scuba diving and what I have seen would have frankly turned me off. Be generous, allow for the (gasp!) recreational diver, encourage the novice gently and positively. What if taking PB eventually inspires someone to delve further into improving their diving? What if they do decide to dip their toe into GUE courses? We can all move upward and onward without looking askance at those less experienced than ourselves. If we need to put others down to lift ourselves up, we are to be pitied.

OK, off soapbox.

2. Throw recommendations of GUE Fundamentals course around, extra points for calling it "fundies"

There are so many facets to scuba diving and what I have seen would have frankly turned me off. Be generous, allow for the (gasp!) recreational diver, encourage the novice gently and positively. What if taking PB eventually inspires someone to delve further into improving their diving? What if they do decide to dip their toe into GUE courses? We can all move upward and onward without looking askance at those less experienced than ourselves. If we need to put others down to lift ourselves up, we are to be pitied.

OK, off soapbox.

Hahahaha

Thousand like!

OK, off soapbox.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The admins seem to not like accusing PADI of being driven by profits. Saying that any agency is trying to maximize profit is not an insult; it's what makes any business do its best to satisfy customers.

OK, off soapbox.

How about dive better. It's easier. Sorted core skills and the world's your lobster.

Mediocrity ruled until someone demonstrated what good looked like. Thereafter it was clear to see what to aim for.

Has nothing to do with deep dives, long dives, cave dives nor bog snorkelling. It's about being in control of yourself so you can really enjoy the beauty of the undersea world.

What a coincidence! I plan on doing my AOW with Rainbow Reef in February. Sounds like your may not have gotten a lot out of it; should I consider somewhere else? I was hoping for more than just 5 dives.

Sorry, I missed your reply. I am most definitely saying it was worth it. No question for me. I took my ow in Iowa, waited 9months, and then my next dive was at RR for my aow. Tyler was great (even if a bit young). He was laid back, but also seemed to be able to help. I just cannot say how it compares to other places.

Pity it can't be called 'coaching' not 'instructing'. That way a diver could pay for an hour's coaching without spending the "whole" day studying. Best value for both parties and highly repeatable.

There is at least instructor that does that here. Call say I want to work on this and they will do private tutoring no card just helping you be a better diver.

BD81D3D5-BBBB-4827-813E-86B02D786FF5.jpeg
FBFF3203-1B0A-4698-907F-553D2180105A.jpeg
Mediocrity ruled until someone demonstrated what good looked like. Thereafter it was clear to see what to aim for.
You can’t be serious,

OK, off soapbox.
Exactly. Well said. There is a lot of really good information available on SB. Unfortunately, you often have to wade through a ton of bias to get to it.

Divers have been brainwashed by the agencies into needing a card for everything including farting.

You don't need a card for farting, you need a card for doing something productive with your farts. For example, I am working out a method of combining hydrox, biochemical decompression, and union suit style wetsuits with drop seats to make possible methane boosted acceleration underwater. The ignition system is proving problematic, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom