Peace River Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradB

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to see if anyone might be interested in diving the Peace River near Zolfo Springs for artifacts/fossils this week-end. I have kayaks for transportation and have been there one other time. I had no clue what to look for that trip, but I just got back from a 2 day trip diving the Chipola River in N. Florida with a very experienced river hunter and now at least have an idea as to what to look for in a spot. I am in the exploring stages and can't promise any great finds but it is a fun trip irregardless. I will warn that this is pretty strenuous diving and can be high current and low vis. However, it is shallow, usually 4-8 foot deep. My wife is out of town and my buddies kid just got his tonsils out so somebody help me out here. I don't really want to go by myself.

I wish i could go. Did you find anything in the other river that you went to?

This weekend is taken up w/a venice dive, however, if your still interested in about 2 weeks (Thanksgiving weekend) I'll be more than happy to hook up. I've got plans to explore some options up there that weekend and a possible fossil hunter guide as well. At worst, he's hooking me up with information on spots to shuffle around and hover under my canoe looking.

Interested?

Won't be able to join you this week-end, but if you want to do it anytime in Dec., let me know. I won't be in Fla until Dec. , but have been looking forward to doing the Peace River and Shell Creek for fossils. Hope you find a buddy and some teeth and artifacts too!! Rick

Wendy, I found one fairly nice point and a scraper, fossils included horses teeth, turtle shell, a deer jaw with some teeth and the coolest thing was supposedly a plate from a giant Armadillo. The guy I went with was phenomenal, he found about 4 times the stuff I did.I will be up for river dives in the future with those who want to go. One thing I will tell ya is take LOTS of weight. It took like 30 lbs to sink and hold me reasonably well in a 5 mil 2-piece with hood. And we were on a hookah so no tank or BC drag. And in some places you still had to hold on to a rock while fanning to keep from getting blown downstream. Vis was considered good and was from about 1.5 to a murky 4 feet.

Sounds like fun Brad, been wanting to try it for awhile now. Being a "bottle" hunter in some of the rivers up north, I can relate to that "black water" and current. I'll definately look you up when I get down there. From what I've been reading, there are quite a few places to hunt for fossils down there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom