PDIC acceptance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pops

Reaction score
I have a PADI C card - entry level. It's cool - picture of Flipper and all. But I like the people at a non-PADI shop better and would like to do more training with them. They are PDIC. I trust the training and all but what I wonder is a PDIC C card acceptable to as many dive shops as a PADI card for travel renting of air and like that? You see where I'm going - I wouldn't want to be turned away by a Cozumel boat capt. because he doesn't know who PDIC is.

Although PDIC is a recognized agency and claims to be international, it is not particularly well known.

Why not ask the folks at that shop if where they have dove? Also, if their Instructors are multi-agency (PDIC, SSI, PADI, or whatever) it may well be because that organization is not readily recognized out of their own local area.

~SubMariner~

Cheryl,

PDIC divers dive world wide every day. They are particularly well known for their work in the field of public safety diving. There's no reason for a PDIC diver to be concerned about not having his card accepted. Suggesting otherwise is pure PDIC bashing.

Dont get caught up in the agency stuff. There are all sorts of threads going about how it boils down to the instructor and not the agency. As far as recognition goes, you have one PADI card anyways and your log book should be what is reviewed and not your card collection. The RSTC (Recreational Scuba Training Council) establishes a concensus on the minimum requirements for recreational courses. PDIC, YMCA, PADI, ACUC and a bunch of others are all members (NAUI is not). If a shop does not recognize the PDIC card go to another shop and if it is a RSTC member report it.

PDIC divers dive world wide every day. They are particularly well known for their work in the field of public safety diving. There's no reason for a PDIC diver to be concerned about not having his card accepted. Suggesting otherwise is pure PDIC bashing.

PDIC may indeed have a high profile where you live. However, as a Canadian who currently lives in the Atlanta area, I can tell you that in BOTH locales, PDIC is NOT well known.

IOW, it is different experiences from different people... hardly "agency bashing".

~SubMariner~

The only time I have ever heard of PDIC, is a couple of my regular diving buddies (both have 10+ years diving) hold PDIC cards. Only problem is, I just spent the better part of a dive trip trying to teach them how to use the tables. You see, they got one of the "weekend special certification" several years ago. Its amazing they are even still alive!

Please note however (Esp Walter) That I am NOT PDIC bashing, this is just the only time I have met anyone PDIC trained. Of course, I'm VERY sure that theres a few PADI ppl out there like that as well.

Mark

k4sdi,

Yours was not a blanket statement about PDIC with no basis, it was a specific situation. It was obviously not bashing.

Actually, while unfair, Sub's post wasn't bashing either. I was merely teasing her a tad because she tends to accuse others of PADI bashing when they make any negative statements about PADI. A good natured jest between friends, not a serious accusation.

So Sorry Walter......:worried:

Actually, I have to give those guys credit anyway.........after all, they did introduce me to diving!!!

Mark

Back
Top Bottom