PCB, Vortex

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Lori

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Don't throw eggs at me, I did a search and came up with nada.

I'm contemplating taking my graduating, novice diver niece to PCB and Vortex for a grad gift this summer. I'll do her refresher in our shop pool here at home and then head south, doing a couple days at Vortex....that's about all you can do.....and then a two tank in PCB. Shop logistics isn't an issue, got that covered.

What I would like from you savvy FL residents........

A nice, clean, quiet and SAFE place to lodge in and around PCB and Vortex that won't break "auntie's" American Express? Being two females alone, I'm being a bit more cautious than if I were going with the guys

Any and all replies greatly appreciated!! TIA.

I camped at Vortex when I went. Very nice, no one bothered me. There is a state park with camping nearby IIRC.

Peter

The best place to stay at Vortex is Vortex. They have two one bedroom apartments in the Grandview with full kitchens. Next favorite is the Pineview Lodge about 100 yards away. The pineview is an open bay barracks on the first floor but the second floor is hotel room like accomodations with beds, TV and bathroom. You must bring your own linen but those of us who do it a lot just bring a pillow and sleeping bag. In the summer call early for reservations.

Panama City Beach is rapidly going to the developers. If you want to stay on the beach there are several nice hotels like the Holiday Inn, Best Western and others that are safe and convenient to stuff. They would not be kind to Aunties AE card in the summertime.

We stay at the Holiday Lodge. Now this ain't the Ritz Carleton but it is relatively clean and cheap. I have never heard of any trouble there.

If I were new to the area and were diving with Hydrospace I would call the dive shop and ask to speak with Scott Donaldson (Scotty) and ask him to fix me up with a package.

If I were diving with Divers Den I would call the dive shop and ask to speak with Debbi Haines or Sonja and ask them for recommendations for a nearby hotel.

The Hampton Inn on Thomas Drive is less than half a mile from both shops and I have heard that you can get some great discount packages on-line
http://www.hydrospace.com
http://www.diversdenonline.com
http://www.vortexspring.com

Congratulations to the new diver and I hope you have a great time.

Vortex is worth a visit - now you being from Ohio, do watch out for fire ants. You have to be careless and actually step on them - I saw this at Vortex, and it was not a pretty sight - so keep those eyes open.
If you can swing by and see Cypress Springs in Vernon, you will be awed by it. It is now closed to the public except by canoe, and one of THE most beautiful places I have seen on my travels on this planet. SUperBUgMan and some other people here go there - do a little research. You'll have to scrounge up a canoe - whatever you have to do is worth it.
PCB in-season is crowded like Wal-Mart during Christmas Eve. I had a nice time there OUT of season, but it ain't called the Redneck Riviera for the alliterative effect of the name.

Lori. I agree with what Tom says about PCB. It can be really nasty the first week of June (after memorial day weekend) and busy all the way till the end of summer. It's the "spring break" and "just out of school" place all the kids go. MTV does (or did) their spring break shows from there. During the busy season, it's bumper to bumper 5mph on the beach road. however the 'bypass' (4 lane) isn't that bad most of the time.

Right now it's dead down there. I was in Panama City Beach on Thursday and I was surprised how empty it was. The only congestion is where they are doing construction on the "beach side" of the Hathaway Bridge and it wasn't that bad.

BTW... I was told that the weekend of May 14 or 22nd, not sure which, that there is a big "biker rally" in Panama City. I doubt this will cause any problems though as most of them won't be diving and most of these folks don't cause the trouble that the "Movies" make them out to be. Heck, you can't afford a new Harley now days unless you make $50k plus a year cause the things cost too darn much.

Officially the "peak" season there starts the week of Memorial day until the end of July (schools start back at different times in August). August isn't as crowded, because of schools and it' "hot", but crowds still don't go away until into September. If you stay at the Holiday Lodge though you shouldn't have any problems regardless. Only downside you'll see in peak times is longer waits at restaurants.

-mike

I went down there once on the Fourth of July and I got on my hands and knees in the middle of Thomas Drive and made a pact with God that if she would let me out of there I would never come back on a three day weekend.

Thunder Beach Bike Rally is normally the first weekend in May so it should be going on as we speak.

Seriously Lori - contact us and if this is your first time to PCB we can set you onto some nice places to eat and party if you wish. Like I said, PCB is being sold out to the developers and most of the great places are already gone. BUT - you must have a dinner at Uncle Ernies, and breakfast at Bayou Joes. If you are diving with Hydrospace or Divers Den you must eat at least once at Billy's Oyster Bar on Thomas Drive. The Grouper Salad Sandwich is a killer. Montego Bay is another great place. If you are into Country and Western Karoke I can tell you where the Purple Turtle is. The only restaurant I have ever been in where the manager personally thanked me for being there.

There is a small hotel I have been eyeing across the street from Divers Den on the bay that looks cozy and great. I can't remember the name - ask Debbie or Sonja. Also the condos at the Inns at St Thomas Square are good.

Hydrospace has three larger boats and Divers Den has a smaller boat. Either would be great for your situation.

Cypress is awesome.

Vortex will rent out canoes for $50 a day, if you have a vehicle that will carry it. I strap them to the top of my BroncoII without a rack or anything - if you care about paint, use towels :)

I can give you directions to the best boat launch and some directions to follow down the river to get to the springhead itself. Or If you want a guide, shoot me a PM :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom