PCB Jetties Shark Inhabitants

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moosicman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey there,
Help me out and let me know what shark species I may encounter on a dive at the Jetties. I am getting a trip planned with a friend of mine and he has expressed some concerns. How often are they encountered would be good to know as well. Thanks in advance!

Brad

I haven't been to the jetties all that much, but I've yet to see a shark. Of course, most of my diving there has been in 10' or less visibility, so the sharks could have easily been 15' away...

I've heard of a report or 2 of sharks there, but it seems like a rare thing.

I did a few dives at the jetties a few weeks back and didnt see any sharks, or hear of anyone seeing any.

flactivity.jpg

If you are in the water, diving is the safest way to go......

Florida Attacks By Species
flspeciesattacks.jpg

1882-2007 Map of Florida's Confirmed Unprovoked Shark Attacks
Map of Florida's Confirmed Unprovoked Shark Attacks

If you are in the water, diving is the safest way to go......

Hilarious. Does appear that way, right.

Notice on those charts that most were swimmers and sufers, not divers.

of the few diver attacks, it doesn't say how many of them were spearfishing or had a stringer of fish with them. It also says "unprovoked", but I wonder how many of them really were unprovoked with divers. For example, nurse sharks will rarely pay attention to a diver and sleep under ledges. But if you go poking at it, it might bite you. but the diver tells the marine officer "no I didn't do anything to it. it just bit me." (yeah right...)

I know of only one diver last year for example that died of a shark attack. And that was one on a 'chummed' shark feeding dive with chum in the water and feeding the sharks.

There have been only 13 fatal shark attacks in Florida since 1882

Statically, you're more likely to get killed by a whole list of things before a shark.

Bee stings kill more people each year than sharks do.

Reportedly, so do Vending Machines. for example: Are Vending Machines Deadlier than Sharks?

I never see sharks :(

There are 2 million sharks per square mile of the Gulf, please keep your distance :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom