PCB dive boat recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slmason.72

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A friend and I will be in Panama City Beach September 16-21 and are looking to do 3-5 days of two or three tank dives. We are not looking for a private charter, but don't want a cattle boat either. So far, I have found two that seem to meet what I am looking for, Better Bottom Time and Dive Locker. both seem well recommended, but would like the opinion of those that have been there and done that. Are there others in the area that I should be looking at? Also, any sites for shore dives that we should look into?

Ok, so for shore dives, it looks liked the St Andrews jettie's are about it, but highly recommended. Dive flag use is mandatory and this is something I haven't done yet. So in addition to my above question, any recommendations for dive flag floats and words of wisdom for their use? I'll most likely experiment with whatever flag arrangement we plan to use at a local quarry to work the kinks out ahead of time. Don't see how it's that much different from towing a SMB, just for a longer time and distance...

Last edited:
Only have a second now so I'll fill you in on what skinny I know briefly. I don't consider any op to be "cattle boats" here. PCDC is the closest thing and I can see how some would feel it would be if it were packed full BUT the advantage is that the boat is spacious and you're not stepping all over everyone. Sometimes the six-packs feel cramped even if there is only a few of you. Jetties is awesome - it equals some dive spots in the FL Keys and the getting in and out shore diving isn't miserable. Watch tides. More later.

Sorry for the delay. I've been busy but now I can fill you in a bit more.

There is not a "bad" dive op here in PCB that I've run across.

PCDC: PCDC WebsiteI'll spend some time talking about them because I've been out with them twice in the last couple weeks and because they get the "cattle boat" reference the most. They have 3 boats: Island Diver, Reef Runner, & Capt. Scuba. When you look at them on their website, it is a bit misleading because it appears cramped with people but it isn't. Yes, they are the closest thing to "cattle boats" that we have here but the difference is that this isn't the FL Keys or Cozumel and so the boats are not full unless it is a holiday weekend or something. Even then you sometimes have it great. We went out July 4th weekend and there were only 4 divers on the boat including me and my dive buddy. I've been out with a dozen or more people on their boats and have never had an experience like ppl describe w/ cattle boat ops. There's plenty of room and good conversations on the surface intervals. I've booked 6packs because I didn't want cattle boats and I've usually always felt pretty cramped in them, with little space for getting gear out and setting up. Anyway, roll the dice because you've got great odds. Crew's good, service is good, and they seem to have the greatest history here in PCB. Mike G. has been integral in getting some of the wrecks placed here from what I understand. They are at beach's end of Thomas Drive and the dock is a short drive nearby Capt. Anderson's and The Boat Yard (recommend both for evening dining). Grade: A+

Diver's Den: Panama City Dive Shop, Dive Charters and SCUBA Certification | Diver's Den | 850-871-6889 another good op. with good boats and good crew. I've less experience with them but enjoyed them just the same even though my dives with them have all been in ROUGH seas with swells ranging 7-10 ft. Nothing negative to say at all. Smaller capacity boats in the same vein as Dive Locker. I did mention something in passing about my GOPRO in the shop and the owner piped up that he didn't like them and preferred the Contour (what they sell) with a list of why it was better than the GOPRO and why mine would flood at depth. Hey, he's gotta make money too so I don't begrudge him pushing it. They are almost directly across from Capt. Anderson's on Thomas Drive. I can't for the life of me remember where their boats are docked but its not far from the shop either and may be the docks by J Michael's Restaurant on Thomas Drive (another highly recommended restaurant). Grade: A

Dive Locker: get my gear serviced here and have used them the most so far. Again, good boats and good crew with no negative experiences. Their shop is the 1st one you'll see if you come down Thomas Drive. I like their shop, their staff, and they've always got cool dive shirts. Their boats are docked in Pirate's Cove Marina if I remember correctly. Grade: A

As you can see, either I'm not overly critical or we've got good diving ops. here. I've been well taken care of. These are the three premier dive ops. in PCB.

Another op that I've not dove with (yet) but hear great things about and have been in their shop is Panama City Dive Charters. Panama City Dive Charter's Current Fleet of Dive Boats
I think this group is a conglomerate of dive charter boats that have banded together in some way to help business and expenses and so forth but I'm not certain of what the relationships are. I just know they all maintain good reps and I've never heard any horror stories from the dive community here. I actually have been out on the "Wreck Raider" with Capt. Rod. but I think it was before he joined this dive op. and was an independent charter. We chartered him for my advanced cert. dives. I see Better Bottom Time is also on the list here. So note that they may have a more independent charter feel to them, which ain't bad because they can get you to places the typical ops. don't frequent as much.

Let me restate and overstate again that you HAVE to plan on diving the Jetties. Let me tell you, I'm a creature comfort type of person. When I was considering doing this shore dive I was thinking "this is gonna be miserable walking in and out of the water, sand, heat, the people, keeping track of tides, etc." and I was not expecting an overwhelming experience. I assumed it'd be a good cheap way ($8 entry to the park) to just get wet. Well, I was SO WRONG. The only burden of any sort was towing the dive flag. But this dive was the BEST dive I've ever had here in PCB. You do have to look out for mono-filament and fishermen. BUT, if you really want a great experience, just stay in the Kiddie Pool and don't crest the rock wall at all. You'll not get much beyond 6 or 8 feet (maybe more at high tide) but I've had more significant time with marine life staying in here than any other dive experience. I wasn't constantly looking at gauges and checking current, depth, and so forth because it was a completely safe dive so I could focus more on the wildlife. Oh, you do have to look out for urchin. Me and a buddy when out Sunday after church and spent about 2-2.5 hrs. just bobbing up and down the Kiddie Pool side of the jetty wall. I saw baby barracuda, my first octopus, crabs, flounder, snails, nudibranchs, arrow crabs, worms, cool jellyfish, tons o' different types of fish. You do have to deal with a few more ppl and some snorkelers (you can snorkel it just as easy but I don't like having to come up for air, :) but it was just outstanding. I'll post some video when I get it edited. It has to be an AMAZING night dive. I hope to do that soon. OH, and on the other side of the jetty wall, you have a better chance of running into a shark or two than you do on the wrecks. Bulls, Nurse, and sometimes Hammer Heads frequent the area. They even had a picture of some actually IN the Kiddie Pool a couple years ago. 398559_2964657440722_263320083_n.jpg

Dive the outside at high slack tide for the best viz and current conditions. And be advised that the current can really, REALLY rip when not during that time and viz is poor to non-existant. I've heard personally from people with horror stories and some pretty close near-misses who unwisely dove outside of high, slack tide. MUST use a dive flag in tow.

Be sure and post your experiences!

My first choices are Better Bottom Time and Panama City Dive Charters.

Both of these operations give great service and will take you to sites other than the "first wrecks closest to the pass"

Panama City Dive Center (aka PCDC) (and not to be confused with Panama City Dive Charters above) is not bad or anything, but they get a lot of trips with open water students on them and want to hit the closer wrecks inshore. after you've done those time and time again, you're ready for something different. Their boats aren't crowded though, even with a crowd on them. They've got spacious boats.

Mike is right and I did overlook mentioning that. PCDC does probably have the greatest number of dive students come through them (I think they even advertise they do the most of anybody in PC) so there are students on the boats frequently. And they do tend to stay in shore but if you don't care about deep diving and you've never done the wrecks in shore, they will be as new to you as the off shore stuff. Me, I'd rather stay down shallower and longer. I do love the space. But they'er all great ops. and you won't go wrong.

Hey Mike, am I right in saying that PC Dive Charters probably caters to the spearos the most? If so, SLmason, that is something to consider depending on how you feel about that type being around. Now, all the dive ops will take out spear fishermen so it's always a gamble. Doesn't unnerve me unless they are spear fishing tourists with little experience. Then they are the most dangerous thing in the water; a bit of a loose cannon. I also like to find out if they are floating their catch to the captain or stringing it on their waist for Mr. Grey Suit. Then I just tow a small sign stating that I'm not the one with the fish but will give directions to them if needed. :D

Mike is right and I did overlook mentioning that. PCDC does probably have the greatest number of dive students come through them (I think they even advertise they do the most of anybody in PC) so there are students on the boats frequently. And they do tend to stay in shore but if you don't care about deep diving and you've never done the wrecks in shore, they will be as new to you as the off shore stuff. Me, I'd rather stay down shallower and longer. I do love the space. But they'er all great ops. and you won't go wrong.

I've never had a problem with diving with students on the PCDC boats. Often you're on a boat with 6-10 students and 2-3 instructors from that shop. The students will burn through air pretty quickly and spend the first half of the dive doing skills say on the top of the roof of the Black Bart (or Red Sea, depending on site).

I've just asked the OW instructors before the dive simply "hey, if you don't mind, we'll hop in the water first in front of your students and get out of your way and on down the anchor line". I've never had one say no. Their students take a little longer to get ready, get in, get to the bow of the boat and go down the line. So if we're out of the way then less they have to deal with and they're happy.

typically you'll come up after them also, making for a longer dive by getting in early.

Hey Mike, am I right in saying that PC Dive Charters probably caters to the spearos the most? If so, SLmason, that is something to consider depending on how you feel about that type being around. Now, all the dive ops will take out spear fishermen so it's always a gamble. Doesn't unnerve me unless they are spear fishing tourists with little experience. Then they are the most dangerous thing in the water; a bit of a loose cannon. I also like to find out if they are floating their catch to the captain or stringing it on their waist for Mr. Grey Suit. Then I just tow a small sign stating that I'm not the one with the fish but will give directions to them if needed. :D

I think all the Op's allow it. but I think Pat's boat (PC Dive Charters) it might be more common on. Kelly (dive master) on Better Bottom Time spearfishes often too and they allow it. Both of these boats typically have large fish coolers on board also. (not sure that PCDC's does).

Pat's boat has nice speargun racks on both sides of the boat. on Better Bottom time you simply just place them in the overhead up next to the life-float-ring.

I think Pat does more "spearing only" charters. (where spearfishermen group together and charter his entire boat). He's also in the last year or so got a Parker he runs as a 6 pack, which is good for specialized smaller groups.

as for diving with people spearfishing, some might find it interesting to watch. some could care less. if "mr grey suit" (shark) shows up as you noted, he won't mess with other divers. So there's no worries. he's just interested in a free and easy lunch. Most of the time he will keep his distance from divers regardless. I've only had a couple sharks that wanted to come up and "cuddle" a little. Flicking big flippers at them and they turn away.

Oh I never sweat the sharks unless they are Bulls and there is bait in the water, due to their aggression level. I'm a shark nut. Because of that, I also know enough to be aware of what's happening (if others are chumming the water while we're in it or not). I have found that most spearfishermen tend to develop a false sense of security over time around sharks (kinda like folks who ride motorcycles and lose the respect/vulnerability mentality) because they've yet to have too significant of a negative experience. That's one reason the GSAF is full of attacks and deaths on spearfishermen. If one is bound and determined to "cuddle" there will be no stopping him LOL. Of course White Pointers and Oceanic Whitetips are very rare for the area, so the gulf odds are much better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom