Pavillion Lake Day Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Did a day trip up to Pavillion lake this weekend with a couple of goals in mind. These were:

Determine the feasibility of doing Pavillion as a day trip
Dive the North recreation zone
Check out neighboring Crown lake.

Last years dive trip to the central recreation zone can be viewed here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/western-canada/295973-road-trip-report-pavillion-minnewanka-lakes.html

This time I departed Abbotsford at 6am and arrived at Pavillion lake at 10am. I returned to Abbotsford by 7pm. This included a 20 minute stop in Lytton on the way up and a late lunch in Cache Creek. Although this is a long day it is comparable (timewise) to going to Nanaimo to dive the wrecks for me. The Fraser Canyon also has a lot of nice scenery to see along the way.
Ten Km's north of Cache Creek you will see this sign. Turn to the left :

Picture2004-9.jpg

About 20 minutes later I arrived at the Marble Canyon Provincial campsite which is actually on Crown lake. This is a clean spartan campsite with outhouses and I did my second dive right below the campsite:

Picture2006-6.jpg

I wanted to explore Crown lake as I figured it might also have microbiolites (as the lakes are side by side) but I was wrong. While it promised a lot above the surface (good vis and cliffs that hinted at a wall) below it was a disappointment. Deteriorating vis at depth, no walls and only about 24' deep, Crown lake has a sterile bottom with a covering of patchy cyanobacteria. Oh well, you never know unless you look.

Looking across Crown lake at the cliffs:

Picture2008-6.jpg

At the central recreational zone, the Sky Blue Resort was closed but it didn't matter as there is a large info sign just west of it where vehicles can pull in and divers can descend a short path to the island below. The zone encircles this island and the region east of it.

To get to the Northern rec zone drive a bit further west and take a road to the left for Felix creek. There is a small development of properties there. Drive to the end of the main road and you will hit Brummel Rd:

Picture2010-5.jpg

About 4 vehicles can park right by the water:

Picture2009-5.jpg

After waiting awhile to offgas (or whatever it's called) I suited up. Pavillion lake lies at 2300' and according to the PADI manual an adjustment of 2 PG's/1000' is called for. This leaves one as a F group diver. Just my 2CW but I think that's a bit much. The table doesn't take into account the gradual ascent from sea level (4 hours) and penalizes the diver 2 PG's for 300' elevation gain (rounding up rule). There is also an adjustment of about 10' in depth so that 100' actual depth is about 110 EAD. For safety sake I looked around for about 2 hr's and also did extended SS's on 40%. But the real question is...

Does this drysuit make me look fat?

Picture2013-3.jpg

The dive in the northern rec zone is fairly straight forward. Enter, drop down and dive to the right. A large littoral zone gave way to a sterile slope that I followed down to 100' or so. After a bit I was losing heart (having found no microbiolites) and started thinking the north zone was a bust when at about 80' I began to see small colonies. These developed into larger and larger colonies as I gradually ascended. I also saw a group of logs that were being calcified. But hey, why listen to me tell you about it when you can watch the 6:52 minute dive video here: YouTube - Pavillion 2 0001

In conclusion I was happy with the trip and didn't feel too bagged at the end of it. Pavillion can be done as a long day trip with 2 dives and I will probably go up again in late September/early October to dive the southern recreation zone. I'll post the date to see if anyone else wants to go.

Last edited:
The suit looks good on you but what type of rock boots are you wearing :wink: Love'm

Great trip report, thanks

I'll let you know when I'm heading up next John.

For inserting myself I was using the Swankenstein inspired trick of holding my arm out and filming backwards. It helped that I just made a DIY light arm

Picture2012-5.jpg

I'll sign up for the next one too. I did another Buntzen dive today. This lake stuff seems to be taking a hold. I originally went for Whiskey Cove, but it just looked and smelled nasty at low tide. At least from the surface vis was abysmal. So I just turned around and went to Buntzen and did another wall I didn't do last time.

Let us know so we can coordinate the carpooling.

I'd be interested for that dive too dale!

video looked amazing. great vis even at 100'
Cant say the same for cultas, we were treated to not even a foot when we crossed 40ft.

I'll sign up for the next one too. I did another Buntzen dive today. This lake stuff seems to be taking a hold. I originally went for Whiskey Cove, but it just looked and smelled nasty at low tide. At least from the surface vis was abysmal. So I just turned around and went to Buntzen and did another wall I didn't do last time.

Let us know so we can coordinate the carpooling.

How's buntzen lake?
we've been eye f*cking it for quite some time.

as I mentioned in above post. Cultas was absolutely amazing. I'm starting to like freshwater better than salt.
ohhh noes!

if you ever want to go back to buntzen, let me know!
or any freshwater dives!

Visibility was again around 30' but it was darker than the last time because of the overcast/rainy skies. I find the walls and trees fascinating even though there's not much life compared to the ocean. But on the other hand, 30' vis is much nicer than the 5' vis mustang reports for the same day.

I haven't done Cultus yet, but if you like underwater trees, Alouette Lake (Golden ears) north beach, by Gold Creek has a LOT. No walls just a steep slope with a lot of trees. Vis was almost 60' in Alouette. Unfortunately, because there are padlocked gates blocking vehicle access to the water, there is a longish very steep walk hauling gear to the water.

Thanks for the great trip report; I'm making my way towards there soon and wanted to check out those microbialites.

how are you attaching those aluminum arms to your tray? i'm learning all sorts of things from your thread!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom