Patten Inflatable Dive Boat

would you buy one of these boats?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used an Achilles for years and liked it. This boat with the entry hole looks like a solution in search of a problem.

I find it funny how internet blogs less informative but rather negative comments.
I own this boat and use it multiple times a week. I also own a 36' 320 2003 and use that once a month.
The hole in the bow is just great we use it for everytime we anchor and makes it so easy, and no I am not a women as one notes but a PADI and BSAC scuba instructor.
There is no maintenance on this, self bails since no bilge pump and Evinrude engine no oil changes just add oil and only tune up every 3 years. This inverts the normal boating statement to 90% and 10% work. I just keep upgrading it.
NewEngland charters no disrespect but saying just get a big bilge pump why need to have one, I leave the boat in the water and do not want to worry about, I know many boats that sink in the marinas after a good rain.
This boat is not cheap but it is made military and govt grade and no more then the other high end inflatable manufacturers.
I recommend doing more research and test the boat before just assuming an opinion.
Thanks guys for listening....as an instructor and long time boat owner thought I would make some notes here for other boat owners doing true research.

Oh I was just discussing possible uses for the opening in a joking manner. I never even implied that anyone was a woman. I made no reference to your post. It is just what happens in the normal course of diving. I'll edit it. But it is true. It is against the law to dump anything. But if one goes directly it is OK. And the opening would add more privacy so that is a plus.

I can see if it is a write off and used for training students. No it is still too expensive. And too much wasted floor space for my applications.

If I owned a 36 footer. I may get one of these also. No I would stick with Avon or Achilles for a tender. It is what I know and have experience with.

I like the multiple tube idea. Maybe I could justify the expense and get one 20 years from now as army surplus. I think an RIB may be better for my application though.

Also our ideas about inflatable boat use may be different. Northern California Coast is somewhat cold 48-52F water temp, cliffs, small coves, beaches, rocky shores and can be rough. Mine has completely filled with water in rough windy seas. I have almost flipped mine in rough surf. Divers wear thick wetsuits and dry suits. People plus their gear in an inflatable need maximum floor space.

Since this is a SCUBA forum one may get opinions related to actual SCUBA diving experience. (Example, urinating over the side vs using a head or coffee can or going in ones suit.) Or how one disembarks or boards the inflatable, or handles bailing in rough windy seas.

First of all, my Dad is a marine mechanic, so I spend a lot of time working on boats with him, and where I am (Canada) the military, and marinas, as well as some divers use zodiacs. They have a farily good resale value. I wouldn't spend money on that Patten inflatable, though. It's kinda too fancy.

"This hole in the floor can be for a more private way to relieve oneself instead of going in ones wetsuit."

But woulnt the Turds just float around inside the hole until you get on plane. and then where would they go?

"This hole in the floor can be for a more private way to relieve oneself instead of going in ones wetsuit."

But wouldn't the Turds just float around inside the hole until you get on plane. and then where would they go?

Maybe eat less vegetables and they'll be sinkers instead of floaters.

Relieve was meant as urinate rather than poop.

Tec Innovations is going to be at the Georgia Dive Show this coming week end.

Maybe eat less vegetables and they'll be sinkers instead of floaters.

Relieve was meant as urinate rather than poop.

Perhaps the intent of the original post was in reference to urination, however I got to thinking about it and I think that pooping on plane is an even greater benefit of the floor hole because it eliminates the problems in keeping toilet-paper dry on a small boat. Furthermore, there could also be some benefits realized in the form of hydro-colon therapy which is becoming quite popular these days. The only real issue I see with it is protecting the other passengers from the spray.

And to the guy who's only two posts on Scubaboard have been to extole the virtues of the Pattern... Welcome to the board! Poke around a bit, and I'm sure you'll find even more interesting threads!

I went diving on one of these boats yesterday in 5'+ sea and I have to say I was very impressed with this boat, much easier ride than a hard bottom inflatible would have been. I just e-mailed Patten to see what one would cost, I was that impressed. Easily could hold 8 tanks and gear and very quick across the water. For someone such as myself this would be a great dive boat, easy to tow and launch. One of our local dive shops here in the Caribbean has 2 of them and he uses them day in and day out without problems. The hole in the floor was actually quite easy to use and a plus compared to some dive boats I have been on. As far as diving solo, I am sure it would not take much to rig it to accomindate getting gear back on board.
Anyways, thought I would share my experience with you guys.

Back
Top Bottom