Patten Inflatable Dive Boat

would you buy one of these boats?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Upstate Scuba OWI

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I saw a Patten Inflatable Dive Boat this past weekend at the Georgia Dive Show. I was thinking of getting one but wanted to get the SB members view on them and if anyone has experiance with them please let me know. www.tecinnovations.net

Attachments

• Patten Dive Boat1.jpg
    Patten Dive Boat1.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 757
  • Patten Dive Boat2.jpg
    Patten Dive Boat2.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 621
Get a Zodiac and while on the subject let me put you in the know on something. In the USA inflatables have zero cred and are seen as toys and as a result have just about zero resale value.

The Zodiac Futura is a better boat and has a semi-catamaran type design, skip the silly floor opening. If possible go for a RIB and if possible go for a traditional glass boat as they actually have some value in resale.

N

If there was a way to make it have a solid hull but still the thru-floor entry/exit it would be good.

I saw that same boat at the same show this past weekend and I was extremely impressed w/ the craftsmanship, ingenuity, and versatility of this boat...I agree w/ the above post about resale value of inflatables which is why I'm hoping to buy a used one in the next 12 to 18 months...but even new, it's hard to find a boat with the capabilities of this one @ around $20K

I have owned boats my entire life and this boat is worth every penny. It rides very smooth and fast with the cat design. Maintenance is minimal does not even require a bilge pump since it self bails and this is a great feature since owning is usually 10% fun and 90% work and money but this boat reverses those %s. It is very basic but has as many options you want to design in it. I was skepitcal at first since I was just searching for a tender that had fishing and diving options to compliment my SeaRay 320 when I came across this boat. But I took a chance and now I can recommend it to anyone, this will be my boat for life. It comes with many options and I just added the bimini, a few more tank holders, cooler seating and I am out on the water after just a few minutes of prep work and the same afterwards. Love it!

In the sunbelt inflatables may have little or no resale. But up here in the Pacific NW they actually hold their value quite well. In the short term (<5yrs) they depreciate less than a GRP boat. In the mid-term (5 to 15 ys) the depcaite about the same as GRP. In the long term (>15yrs) they depreciate a bit more than GRP.

The gimicky jump through floor is a serious minus on this boat IMO. Nobody but a diver would buy this boat. And I have no idea how that gizmo works when the water gets a little rougher - having it spring open would be a disaster even on an inflatable.

Very Different.

I have dove from Inflatebles for many many years and have set them up in lots of diferent ways. Some which work and some did not.

what I found for Diving.

I dont think the extra tube on there boat will buy you anything. It is way up high and out of the water so it will not addd any bouyancy and will only get in the way when you back rolling over the sides.

You wont be able to do a step off entry while underway at all as it would trip you up.
Step Offs are good for Rescue dives and for exploratory dives when you want to deploy multiple divers fast.

I dont like center consoles in my dive boats. They get in the way and take up way to much space. They work fine yacht tenders and fishing but not in a dive boat.

The Hole in the floor? Why? I can only envison freezing cold water and chunks of ice punching into the boat while scallopp diving. Brrrrrr!!!

Bildge Pump. Get the Biggest Bildge pump you can afford. you self bailing scupper can and will fail when you need it most. Get a 5 gal bucket as a backup. There is no etter Bailer than a Scared Sailor.

Capt Walt

Maybe if this company would like me to beat the **** out of their boats ( I mean Field Test Them) for a year Ill let you know how they really work.

Resale Value? Whats that. These are Boats we are talking about. Expect to either write i off as a total loss or sell it within the first few years when youll only take a 50%hit on what you paid.

If your looking for a nice barley used second hand inflateable I have one for sale at half of what you will pay for a new boat.

Capt Walt

NewEnglandCharters Press Release 3

zodiac_101.JPG

It would be nice if they added a telescoping ladder so you could be self sufficient. I wonder how it would handle in rough seas, and I dont like the idea of being directly under the boat trying to get back on if its a little choppy.

I have an Achilles. I like the concept of the Patten, but I could never afford one. I have had my Achilles for about 15 years, they hold their value well. The fabric/bonding longevity of the Patten is the only unknown.

I have brought my Achilles in under power with my fuel tank, BC, Fins floating because the boat had completely filled with water faster than we could be bailed from rough seas.

Multiple chambers and floatability has sold me on the safety of inflatables. It will get you back to shore.

The multiple tube idea for safety and rigidity, but I could never afford it.

When boarding after a dive, I clip my Rig to the boat. If I have a hard time getting in, I will toss my weight belt in the boat. Then climb aboard and help others. I leave my fins and mask on in case I have to reenter the water when buddies are boarding.

This hole in the floor can be for a more private way to relieve oneself instead of going in ones wetsuit.

Back
Top Bottom