Pathfinder Reel Falls Off Easily

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude:
Anyone? I've had a few close calls myself.
Dave, have the snap bolt the other way, look at the photo above, thats wrong, with the gate in the whole, flip the bolt so the gate is on the outside of the hole. That way the reel can not rotate far enough to activate the thumb knob.

David P:
Dave, have the snap bolt the other way, look at the photo above, thats wrong, with the gate in the whole, flip the bolt so the gate is on the outside of the hole. That way the reel can not rotate far enough to activate the thumb knob.
Right, that was the point of the thread. In fact, there's a video floating around out there somewhere showing exactly what happens.

The question is, how is this happening with spools (not the S or H reels), and how can it be prevented? I always hook the bolt snap through from inside to outside, so it's not the same issue.

I've found that, if I expose enough hole on my spool so that the DE can clip through and rotate so its long axis lies in the plane of the side of the spool, it won't come off. If it's not free to rotate, it will.

For those with Pathfinder/Salvo reels, just change the double-ender out for a tie-on bolt snap. Problem solved. Just switching the double-ender around will help, but it won't solve the problem. I know it's what many/most of us in MA have done.

David P:
Did you...read the thread...or even my post that went with the picture? :shakehead

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom